What's new

Are there any HDTV broadcasts in NYC since the disaster???? (1 Viewer)

John Fieldstadt

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering adding the Sony HD100 to my system but was wondering if I'll be able to receive any OTA broadcasts at this time. I reside in Queens and was under the impression that local HDTV was broadcast from the WTC. Does anyone know? Thanks.
------------------
Sony KP-61HS10, Sony DB940, Toshiba SD-6200, JVC HR-7600U, Sony CE545, Sony Sat. Receiver, Klipsch Reference Series (RB-5, RC-3 & RS-3), Klipsch KSW-15, Sennheiser RS-6, Sony RM-AV2100

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
from what I read, the local stations all had their HD feeds being sent out from atop one of the WTC towers.
it pisses me off still. Thinking about what happened. Doesn't it to everyone else as well?
Chuck

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Well we could write a book about this past year but I'll spare you that...
Whats left at this point is CBS off the Empire State Building. They do offer a serious amount of prime time HD so investing in a decoder is worth it. Another station that does some PBS HD broadcasts is in Brooklyn but their range is limited to 20 miles or so.
I live out in the Huntington area and receive WTNH (ABC affiliate from New Haven) you might be able to pull this in with an amplified VHF unit. From Cablevision's Optimum Online F/O system we get MSG/FSN/HBO. Some NYC people also get some HD off Time Warner Cable.
GM just announced Dishnetwork the winner in the bidding for Direct TV so research the Sony HD100 and what this evolving acquisition might mean to OTA receivers.
Bottom line is this... If you have a HD ready set, there is programming out there for you. Not as much as prior to 9/11, but don't let that stop you.

John Fieldstadt

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses.
Yes, the whole thing pisses me off and not because it has affected my TV viewing options. In fact a part of me even feels a bit guilty worrying about something so frivolous in light of everything that has happened. I guess like everyone else though I'm just looking for distractions.
Based on the fact that there is still CBS broadcasting out there I guess it's time to get serious about getting a STB.
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks