What's new

Are there any HD DVD players out yet? (1 Viewer)

MikeSHU

Agent
I'm not talking the ones that "up-sample" the standard DVD disk to 1080i. I'm talking about being able to play back 1080P HD DVD disks.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

Yeah, but who are you going to support? Better yet, who are the studios going to support?

Microsoft's codec, the DVD forum's HD-DVD, or Sony's Blu-ray DVD?

SimiA

Second Unit
Rob, that's a valid point.
I'll guess we'll have to wait and see which format the studios support before we make a decision,
Better yet, maybe, just maybe, the new players might support more than one format.
Well, I can always hope.;)

SimiA

Second Unit
Mike Shu. BooHao, BooHao.
I just ran the flight video. I suggest to anyone else, don't do it!!
It crashed my puter.
I'm running 3.2ghz, 512meg of ddr ram, with a 9600 radeon 256meg video card.
Windows pop up said there was an error, "sorry for the inconvience", that I should send an error report, and my puter crashed.
Video took 8 plus minutes to download, I'm using a cable connection; pq is great, but jerky in parts.
Took forever to reboot!!!
Vb

MikeSHU

Agent
Suprisingly they actually work pretty well on my PC with a little skipping. I have a 2.1Ghz P4 512MB ram and a radeon 9800Pro. Try using media player 10. I can't imagine why it would crash your PC.

SimiA

Second Unit
It said that media 10 would automatically be upgraded so you could view the video.
Might be the 9800 pro advantage.
Oh well, all is right in XP land now.
Vb

John S

Senior HTF Member
Cool stuff in this thread....

So what titles are available on WMV? Or maybe even a link, so I can go look myself. This would be a good reason for me to go ahead and try some HTPC stuff. I have not had to much interest in it so far.

SimiA

Second Unit
There's a Good Fella down the block.
He's got them for a price too good to refuse!!:D :D :D
Vb

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
PLayers that support WMV HD are rumored to be hitting the market eventually, and probably sooner than any HD-DVD final formats get agreed on. I have all those clips of WMV, and I can run them all fine at 720p, I don't have the computing juice to run 1080p well at all, it comes out like a slideshow. I also can't really properly resolve 1080p with my CRT projector, but I can do 720p just fine, and display 1080p anyway, it just gets a little soft is all.

As for full titles, there are a bunch of IMAX movies out in HD, Standing in the Shadows of Motown, T2, and a new adult film was just released with an HD disc as well. There are other sources for HD, I think atom films or one of those places has a player thing that sends you movies including some in WMV HD, and some new trailers are also out there in HD, like batman I think.

MikeSHU

Agent
The quality is amazing though it definitely is like "looking through a window". An adult film would be nice in HD. Like looking through a neighbors windows.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
FYI: there was an adult film just released with an HD WM9 disc accompanying the regular DVD for those of you with HTPCs and WM9 playback capability.

No, I cannot comment on the quality of the transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks