Are there any great 5 disc cd players with MP3 playback?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Aug 14, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I'm looking for a new 5 disc cd changer with great cd playback capability, but I want to be able to play MP3 Cd's on it also (for parties). Can somebody tell if there are any players like this or if there are any in the works, because I haven't been able to find one. To tell you the truth, I'm really looking for a great 5 disc cd player with SACD and MP3 playback, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
    Thanks!
    James

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

James, there is nothing that fits your requirements at present. Sony discontinued the DVP-NC650V DVD/SACD carousel changer recently and has not replaced it. All of Sony's DVD players released this year support MP3 playback, so I was thinking that a replacement for the 'NC650V would as well, but again, there is no replacement at this time. The 'NC650V is a quality CD and SACD player, though it's not as good as the 'C222ES or 'C555ES (non-DVD models). Still, if Sony does release a replacement for the 'NC650V, it should be a solid machine.

The only MP3-capable CD-only changers I have seen (i.e., with no DVD playback) are a $99 RCA carousel changer at Best Buy and the new Sony CDP-CX455 400-disc megachanger, which sells for around $300. Neither of these players are as good with CDs as quality carousel units like the Denon DCM-370, Marantz CC4000OSE, Sony SCD-C222ES, Sony SCD-C555ES, or NAD 523. If you must have MP3 playback, I would choose the 'CX455 over the RCA changer. Since the 'CX455 holds 400 discs, it would be great for parties.

As you may know, there are a number of non-SACD DVD changers out there that play MP3-encoded CDs. Some of these units also play DVD-Audio discs. So, you have options. However, I don't feel there is a high-quality CD changer out there that handles MP3s.

By the way, what is your budget?

3. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Keith...
    Thanks for the response, you always know your stuff! My budget isn't really fixed, but I'd say it's around $600. I'd jump at the 555ES if it played MP3s, but alas it does not. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that Sony's new batch of ES players has MP3 playback capability. I'm not sure if they will. I noticed that the new ES DVD player doesn't play MP3s, so that's not a good sign.
    James

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

James, no problem. The word has been going back and forth as to whether the 'C555ES is still in production or has been discontinued. I've heard both sides from dealers and from folks here. It seems that Sony hasn't made up its mind from what one reputable dealer told me. At this point, Sony has not issued a press release announcing replacement models for the 'CE775, 'C222ES, and 'C555ES. The only new SACD players announced by Sony thus far also play DVDs. So, I don't see an MP3-capable replacement coming for the 'C555ES. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

If the 'NS999ES indeed does not play MP3-encoded CDs, it will be the only DVD player released by Sony this year that won't. The 'NS999ES is being marketed in part towards the audiophile, and one could argue that the typical audiophile has no interest in MP3s. Perhaps that is why the 'NS999ES would not have the feature.

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I just took home a Panasonic DVD-CP67 a couple of days ago. It does a flawless job with the MP3 discs I have and will even do full 5-disc random playback, although it's pretty slow when it has to change discs.

6. Dave_M

Dave_M Agent

David Martin
    I second the Panasonic DVD-CP67. Plays .wma files too and will ignore DVD discs if you have them mixed with cds when you do random play.

Dave

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I was under the impression that Harman Kardon's changer played mp3's. But I was unable to find anything to support that[​IMG] .
    But here we go, its not much and it may not be what you are really looking for. But I found a Sony DVP-NC655P 5-Disc Progressive Scan DVD Changer with MP3 Playback. I not sure about the quality since it is a regualar Sony? I would feel mauch better if it was a Sony ES [​IMG] . You may want to check into a panasonic changer for about $150 it is a 5 disc changer that playes mp3's, but i think it is a dvd player as well. I am not sure if there are any great players out there with mp3 capability. Hope you find what you are looking for, let us know if you find it?