What's new

Are there any good cheap USB joypads? (1 Viewer)

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
I was wondering what a good USB joypad/gamepad might be. It's supposed to be a simple one to (mostly) play games that require digital steering, i.e. the types of Galaga, Pac-Man, etc.

Do good pads for PCs/Macs exist? Is e.g. this Gravis Gamepad any good?

If the Sega Saturn Pad released in Japan wouldn't be so expensive, I would probably give that a try.

Or should I look into one of the many gamepad converters that let you connect PS2/GC/DC/Xbox controllers via USB to your PC/Mac and are easily available on eBay?

Thanks,

-Christian

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

I have used the Gravis Gamepad and I won't recommend it. Driver updates are infrequent, and the buttons lack the necessary responsiveness for faster-paced action games.

There are good gamepads for the PC (not sure about the Mac, as I don't own or use one). If you like the ergonomics of the PlayStation DualShock 2 controller, then I would suggest looking at the Logitech® Dual Action™ Gamepad, which received solid ratings in PC gaming publications such as Computer Gaming World. Logitech produces a number of officially licensed accessories and peripherals for the PS2, and they've incorporated some of those technologies into PC-specific applications.

I don't have any hands-on experience with the converters/adapters available for cross-platform use (i.e. PS2/Gamecube/Xbox-to-PC), but some people claimed to have had decent in-game results. A couple of the more popular ones are the 'Super JoyBox 5' and 'SmartJoy PLUS', if you're looking to go that route.

I prefer the K/M setup for PC gaming, but for the occasional game that suggests gamepads/joysticks, I use an inexpensive Saitek gamepad that I picked up at Wal-Mart for under $10.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks