What's new

Are there any good 'bang for your buck' deals? (1 Viewer)

Mike H Wizard

Stunt Coordinator
I think the older N26's do sound different than the new N26II's because of the fact that the new N26II's are in a wooden enclosure, rather than in a molded plastic like the previous N26's, which I think gives the new N26II's a deeper, richer sound...

I did not think the N24's and N24II's sounded any different, the only change I could tell was cosmetic...

Hope this helps,

Mike

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
JBL says you'll need some 120 hours of work to get the drivers up and running, but from experience, I'd say 3-4 months is much more to the point. It will be the titanium tweeter which will take longest to really settle down to its true sound.
My JBL N24's were 2-years old, and it held it's own when comparing identical Jazz music/vocals, using the same SPL on top of my JBL S26.

Phil

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
"I'm not looking for home theater quality, just something good with highs, mids, and lows"
hehe, sorry to say but you're looking for HT quality if you want to have good highs, mids, and lows. What else is there? :)

Tom.le

Agent
Well, then I guess I am looking for HT quality, just not the HT price. :)
I like getting quality at a low price. That's why I like to use AMDs instead of Intels. So maybe the JBLs would be right for me then.
Tom

NateW

Auditioning
I have to throw my vote in for Wharfedale. Got my bookshelfs from them (Anniversary Diamond 125W) on Ubid.com. They are UNBELIEVABLE for the price. If you're patient & look for a few weeks at ubid, you should be able to land some for around 100bucks after shipping (which is always pricey at ubid). I am hearing things on CD's through these speakers that I never knew were there before. The tweeters are perfect and the woofers (5 1/2") put out way more clean, tight bass than i expected. As a bonus, you can bi-wire or bi-amp these puppies. :) Check out their homepage (wharefdale.com) to find where to get & which model suits you. you might be a little skeptical when you see how much you can get these for, but your doubts will dissapear once you plug them in.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Tom,
I have had the JBL NSP1's paired up with the Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver for about a month now, and it ROCKS! Got the JBL's at J&R. Can't beat the price and service. And, hey, when you get ready for a great sounding sub, match those speakers with the JBL PB12. You won't be sorry. Many here on the HTF have these and are VERY happy:D :emoji_thumbsup: :D
The first DVD I played after getting this set up and calibrated properly wasTwister. I thought my living room walls were gonna fly apart with that first tornado!!:D
I also just played my first REAL music DVD-James Taylor Live at The Beacon Theatre (yeah, I know-I'm gettin' old :) )and sonically, I heard some of the best acoustic guitar ever. Can't wait to get the Eagles Hell Freezes Over!:)

Tom.le

Agent
I think I'm leaning towards Sony speakers, don't shoot me, please..
I just listened to the SS-MF600H towers and they sound great. One site said they replace the SS-MF515's of which my brother owns and I think those sound great. I'd be getting Sonys all around, to match the tonal quality. At least when I play music, it'll sound decent.
Not sure if their 50kHz Nano-Fine crap really works or not, but they do sound crisp, just like the 515's. And I can find them for 170$, instead of the list 280$. Shipping is 44$ and no tax. If I bought them here, I'd pay 280$+tax.
Does this sound like a good path to follow?
Tom

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
Sony! Whatever sounds good to you. The axioms M2s are on sale for $180 for the pair!! The M22s which is a nice size speaker winner of all kinds of awards goes for $400 a pair, free shipping if you do not like them send them back. Link for sale below on my site.
Admin note - do not post affiliate links on this forum again.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I'll throw my hat in the ring and support whatever decision you make, however I think from the reviews I've read you won't be able to touch the JBL's at that price point.

Tom.le

Agent
Yea, I agree. So I guess I've found the deal I was searching for. But after listening to them, they didn't seem like much of an upgrade to what I have now. I'd end up losing the mid-bass.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks