Are there any good 'bang for your buck' deals?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom.le, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Tom.le

Tom.le Agent

I'm not too heavily into HT, more like ht. [​IMG] I would like to find some modest speakers to go with an Onkyo TX-SR600 that I'm thinking of purchasing.
    I currently own a Sony SA-VA100 all-in-one package. It's only Dolby Digital, lacks decent highs, and only has 2 video inputs, but the sub is really rich and deep, and has a built-in CD player and cassette.
    I definitely don't want to spend 200$+ just for 1 speaker. I know it's the most important, but one speaker can easily cost more than my whole amp, and look how many features that has compared to the features of one center channel speaker.
    But anyway, I'm not just looking for a CC speaker alone. I'd like to find a whole package deal. One with all 5.1 speakers at a decent price. Like maybe 150$-200$.
    To budget my speaker spending, I was thinking of buying the Logitech Z-560 package. It's only 4.1 though, so I'd still need a CC. But my brother bought those for his PC, and they do sound amazing, and the sub has such incredible sound and received many good reviews. I could buy this speaker package for 140$. A 140 seems like a good deal for the sub alone, then maybe add a CC and be set.
    I'm not looking for home theater quality, just something good with highs, mids, and lows. I've seen some deals at Costco for around 99$ for a whole 5.1 set, and wondered if those would be okay and be able to keep up with a good amp. But I forgot the brand they were. I live in an apt. right now, so I don't need 1000 watt speakers, but would still like something that sounds good at a decent volume.
    So, anyone have any good input to a good 'bang for your buck' budget 5.1 bundle?
    Tom

2. Mike H Wizard

Mike H Wizard Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure what the others will say but click the link below...
    KLH may fit your price range, however I'm not sure how they sound, you could go demo them at Best Buy and judge them for yourself, that way you will know if you like them or not...
    Multi-Speaker Packages

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Computer speakers are not really meant to go with a HT receiver. Computer speakers run with 1/8" mini jacks and have their own amps. That would defeat the purpose of a reciever.
    In that price range it is hard to get a good set of 5.1 speakers. I have heard good things about the JBL NSP-1.

I would reccommend getting a good set of bookshelf front speakers for your $200. Save some more and add the rest. A good pair of bookshelves can sound better than 5 cheap speakers.

I have a pair of Paradigm Titans ($200) that I have used as a stereo only pair. The sound quality is great, and they image very well. I sometimes think I have a center speaker when I don't.

Save your money and buy wisely the first time. It is cheaper in the long run. Trust me, I have been there. I have 2 sets of HT gear in a corner of the basement not being used because I upgraded to better.

4. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

try THIS link.
    good luck

5. Mike H Wizard

Hi Tom.le,

Welcome to the HT Forum...

I would have to agree with this comment:

"I would recommend getting a good set of bookshelf front speakers for your $200. Save some more and add the rest. A good pair of bookshelves can sound better than 5 cheap speakers."

I have the JBL N-Series all the way around and I am very pleased with them...

I started with my N-Center around last November, then got the N-24's for the surrounds around February and just ordered the N-26's yesterday for my front speakers and plan to get an SV Sub next year sometime...

Granted this is out of your desired amount you want to spend for speakers, but if you take small steps you can have a great all around system and not the sticker shock all at once...

Just my two cents...

Mike

6. Victor_W

Victor_W Agent

Speaking of the JBL N-Series, take a look at the JBL NSP1 Speaker package. It's basically 4 N24's and 1 N-Center. You can probably add another subwoofer later. Check out Link to JBL NSP1 Package at JandR.com. 200 bucks plus free shipping is DEFINITELY a good price for these speakers. IF you're in NYC, go there locally and pick it up with no tax til tomm. Check out audioreview.com for more info on these speakers or just do a search in the speaker forum for NSP. I know a lot of people use this set up with an SR600.
    Hope this helps,
    Vic

7. Mike H Wizard

That is a sweet deal considering when I bought mine the N-Center was $140.00, 1 pair of the N24's was $140.00 and now my 1 pair of N26II's that I ordered was $150.00

That is a total of $430.00

I wish that Deal was around before, I would have saved a bundle, Oh well I am still happy with my speakers...

8. Tom.le

Tom.le Agent

Well, those JBLs look very appealing. A lot of reviews say it lacks refined highs. Some say the highs are there. I guess you get what you pay for. Maybe I'll stop by BestLie for a listen.

Can someone clearify the difference with the JBL NSP1 and the JBL NSP1II? The specs at jbl.com all look the same, even the MSRP. But one site said the II series is 550W, while others say the same specs as the original series. But that would probably sound right for the 100$ more that they are.

Tom

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Series I and II are supposed to be sonically identical. I would go with the less expensive ones. The highs are there, the midrange is where this set suffers, as they cut off relatively high at 80Hz. They are definitely worth the price, and I was pretty impressed with them. They will almost certainly be better than what came with the HTiB though. Your next biggest improvement will come from upgrading to a decent sub.

10. Mike H Wizard

Where is Phil Iturralde with his wealth of information about JBL?

Phil can you please post your JBL information for Tom.le?

Thank you in advance,

Mike

11. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

For more JBL NSP1 INFO & Reviews w/links, see my webpage Why you should add JBL "N" & "S" Series to your audition list!.
    **NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
    Phil

12. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

13. Mike H Wizard

Thank you Phil...
    It always puts a smile [​IMG] on my face when I read your wealth of information about the JBL Speakers...
    Thanks again,
    Mike

14. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

Tom,
    I'm trying to help a friend of mine in the same boat as you. I would recommend getting the NHT New Wave package of 5 speakers for $165 + shipping. They are discontinued and originally listed for $500 for the set.
    http://www.spearitsound.com/specials.htm
    scroll to near the bottom.
    Better yet, if you can the NHT SuperZeroes for the front 3 (http://ww3.onecall.com/About_0000100..._37_28_0_0.htm) and the NHT new waves for the rears ($66).
    Either way, you need to have a good sub to match with these speakers.

15. Tom.le

Tom.le Agent

Well I went to BestCry yesterday and listened to the JBLs. Unfortunately they didn't have an N-Center to listen to. But I compared the N24 with the N26, and of course the more expensive N26 sounded way better, to me at least. The 26 had more definition to the highs, and the rest sounded a bit louder and more clear and clean. After the comparison it's hard to actually accept the N24s now. I wish you could get an N-Center, 2 N26s, & 2 N24s for 199$ or so, instead of 4 N24s.
    If you listen to one speaker only, it'll sound good. But I guess it's the comparison that makes the difference. My brother and I were at the Sony outlet store months ago just looking around. And we listened to some speakers there. And he ended up buying them even though he didn't even go there to buy speakers because they sounded so full, especially the highs. I think they were the Sony SS-MF315 or the 515s. They had them for around 100$. I think I would say the highs on those sounded more there than the N24s I listened to at BestLie. Maybe their setup was a little damaged though. I think I'll go back and have a listen to more choices.
    Wow, I can't believe some of those speakers above can only get to 11.2kHz and 13.2kHz. Those probably sound terrible. I'm pretty sensitive to highs. Like when monitors or tvs are left on without a signal, or strange hums from stores other people can't hear. But anyway, I guess I would just like some speakers with sensible highs, crisp, and present. Not mid-highs like my SA-VA100 has. I'm thinking of buying some silk dome tweaters to shove into those things just to brighten its highs.
    Tom

16. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

If you can deal w/no bass for a little while then get the a sub later, I'd pick the JBL NSP package from www.jandr.com. Otherwise if you want keep the price as low as possible w/out getting total crap then check out www.hometheaterdirect.com for the Level One. It includes 5 speakers and a sub for $149. They sell internet direct so you get a much better value than comparable mass market products.
    Another option is the Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble IV HT. It's 5 satellites and a passive sub for around $100 shipped on ebay. They are sold refurb'd through hifi.com so you still get the 45 day trial and 10 year warranty. These speakers are one of the best bargains I've ever found. You could always add a sub later to this later as well. You'll be surprised how much impact and how low the little sub plays.

17. Tom.le

Tom.le Agent

I can do without a real sub for now. I do have an older 35Watt Aiwa sub I could use in the meantime. I think it's a 4 or 5" ported just right for the harmonics.

I think what I was comparing the N24s to at BestDie was the N26IIs. Those look a bit bigger. But the tweater looks the same size, so I don't understand why there'd be more highs present in the 26IIs than the 24s. You'd think the only difference would be the mids.

So has anyone figured the difference between the original series and the II series?

Tom

18. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

19. Tom.le

Tom.le Agent

I found the stats for some N24s and N24IIs.
    N26 & N26II
    N-Center & N-CenterII
    The stats are the same for the 24s. But they look a bit different. Wonder if they sound a bit different too. The 26s sure did change.
    Tom

20. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Someone recently wrote a very complimentart article about the Fluance 5 speaker system http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html . IMO you can't beat JBLs at a low price point. I have some Sony speakers that I got at their outlet many years ago very cheap. Sony speakers are very hit-or-miss. Some are OK, some are total crap.
    Another brand to look for is Wharfedale. They're sold at Amazon.com and other places (I think direct?). They have a lot of great sounding speakers, too.