What's new

Are there any fans of "The Uninvited" starring Ray Milland Here? (1 Viewer)

PattyFraser

Second Unit
This 1944 film, a combination of romance, mystery, ghost story, suspense etc. stars Ray Milland and features the beautiful music called "Stella By Starlight". I see from the IMDb that it is a Paramount film. I can't keep up with which studio owns which studio (or distribution rights--even more of a puzzle). To whom do we need appeal to see that this movie gets a DVD release? It's not even available on VHS here. Any other fans of this movie out there?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Great film, I rank it up there with The Innocents, Dead of Night and The Haunting...Universal owns the rights to this...I own the laser but would definitely pick up the DVD if it ever came out.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I'd like to have this on DVD also. Perhaps Universal can find some like-minded films to release with it, as that seems to be their general approach to classic releases.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
A really good Ghost story. I've had it on Laser for many years. I'd welcome a nice DVD presentation, but with Universal owning it now, well.......... :frowning: :frowning:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
God yes!
I've been asking for this for years!!!!
Universal? ugh! It'll probably wind up on a defective dvd-18 with 3 other "ghost stories"

:frowning:

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Wonderful movie: great atmosphere, fine performances, great music, interesting mystery...of couse it would be welcomed...thank goodness as Jeff pointed out...there is the LaseDisc until (if ever) it arrives.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Paramount also made a sort of companion film THE UNSEEN. Although not as good as THE UNINVITED, it would make a nice double feature.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The Uninvited is a superb film, effective and of the correct atmosphere. And when the ghost appears, it works. Why this has not been transferred to DVD is a mystery. Of course we want it. And I would put this thread in the Studio Feedback section if it would be read there. But let's keep it here.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This is one of the best "ghost" movies ever made and definitely one of the spookiest.

Count me in for a DVD.

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
I love this film, too. I wonder what the chances are of getting a few of his films together on a DVD collection from Universal. I'm glad to have The Lost Weekend and The Big Clock, at least. Another of my favorites of his is The Major and the Minor, though that's more of a Ginger Rogers film.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Ditto Ditto Ditto.

I've put requests for this in the Studio Requests forum, but there is nothing to lead me to believe anyone at Universal is paying attention.

Perhaps it will come as part of a Ray Milland set, along with THE LOST WEEKEND remaster and one or two more.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Unfortunately I never got into Laserdisc, so that doesn't help me. I have a VHS copy that was taped over 15 years ago and stored in an non-airconditioned room (not by me!) If forced, I will be able to put it on my own DVD but oh, how this could look, and what extras could come with it--including the soundtrack!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
It tops my list as the most intelligent and spookiest ghost film ever made.

I remember seeing it with my parents back in the late forties and I have to say it scared the sh.. out of me.
I had nightmares for years.

The Laserdisc looks great, so I'm not sure just how much better a DVD would be.
Still it would introduce a long neglected classic to a whole new audience.

The final scene contains one of Movie's greatest lines.

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
I 'm with the members who mentioned maybe a Ray Milland box set..he is certainly deserving. I'm not sure who owns what, but I would like to see a set with films that haven't been released yet both well known and a few lesser known titles.
Favorite Milland films not out are:
1. The Uninvited
2. The Major and the Minor
3. Ministry of Fear
4. It Happens Every Spring
5. The Crystal Ball
6. The Imperfect Lady
7. So Evil My Love

SteveJKo

Second Unit
I too love this film. But unfortunately I only have it on a VHS tape purchased many years ago.

M

Member 323668

@MichaelScott

Me too would appreciate this Ray Milland Box Set - great actor.

A very atmospheric film, similar to "The Uninvited" is 1948's "Night Has a Thousand Eyes" with Edward G. Robinson and Gail Russell. Any fans of this one?

Also a Paramount picture now under Universal's control.

MORE CLASSIC CATALOG TITLES FROM YOUR PARAMOUNT VAULT, UNIVERSAL ! (especially the "noirs")

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I'd love to see those films he made with Paulette Goddard, another Paramount star underrepresented on DVD - The Crystal Ball, The Lady Has Plans, Kitty (he was slated also for Bride of Vengeance with her but wisely ducked out of that one). I have yet to see any of these for the first time but I'd be first in line to buy them all if Universal released them on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks