What's new

Are there any DVD-As that put out 96kHz stereo digitally? (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
:) Poorly worded, but you probably know what I mean... I would like a 96kHz digital output to feed into a DAC, for a demo. I read long ago that some Silverline DVD-As did this (not copy-protected etc.), but I don't think the few of them I have do. My player is an RP82 if that matters. Thanks.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
You may want to email aixrecords to check (I have a few of their releases but won't be home for a month to test it out) if their 96/24 discs are also outputting 96/24 digitally (as well as via the multichannel audio out).

At minimum I believe they all do 96/24 Stereo PCM

http://www.aixrecords.com/index.html

I would suggest Laurence Juber - Guitar Noir

I have purchased a few titles from amazon.ca (one about 2 months ago) but they don't seem to have them now for some reason.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
And if you can find the old Digital Audio Disc format, basically a DVD-V with stereo 24/96, it will also output digitally 24/96 from your player via coax and sometimes toslink. Chesky has done some of these in the past.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Queen - A Night At The Opera DVD-A has a non copy-protected 96/24 Stereo track that will pass via Toslink.

Confirmed by the readout on my Yamaha receiver.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks guys, any more?

I forgot about the aix stuff. Problem is, we're testing/comparing/demoing some DACs in 2 weeks, and I was hoping to find something I could get locally to ensure it's here in time. There is a specialty store not too far away that might have some older Chesky, possibly even aix.

That Queen disc could be quite handy, as I have the original vinyl version, somebody has the CD, and the DVD-A is easy to find; the different formats of the "same" recording makes an interesting comparison for perspective. I presume it also puts out the 96/24 to the coaxial output too...all the DACs have coaxial inputs, but not all have Toslink.

Do some players/discs that will allow the 96 output change it to 96/16 or 96/20 ? Or something like that. I vaguely remember reading something like that a long time ago. Just asking because I'm not sure how all the DACs will handle a 24 bit word length...somebody'll know.

[You can tell this 96/24 input to the DACs is mostly for interest's sake, as the general lack of software makes it not particularly useful, but we're wondering if it will show up any DAC characteristics more clearly.]

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks Kevin, I think you are right from what I can tell from the DACs' instruction manuals...I just wasn't sure about it as the question doesn't come up much.

I had also read that some 96 output had the word length shortened...I don't know how, by either the player or the disk as part of its copy protection scheme, just to keep any copies less good than the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks