What's new

Are there any Dolby Vision 60fps that also supports 3D? (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i know the earlier DV LG OLEDs were DV30 that also supported 3D.... didn't know if DV60 also had 3D as well.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Why would you bother? What DV60 content is there ever going to be? There's only one HDR10 movie, Long Halftime Walk.

And.... 3D
f6c.jpg

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
maybe for you but BD3D is still being released and i just got myself a projector and just getting into BD3D now, yes i'm late... but they are fantastic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Blu-ray_3D_releases

just wanted to see if i can get a display model that can support both. i know that DV + 3D were supported on the 2016 models of LG OLED so i could get one of those... but then again, looks like there are some compatibility issues w/those OLEDs:
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxinsiders/comments/9ij0v6/dolby_vision_you_tv_has_an_older_version/

just afraid that i can't hookup a UHD player to that and playback DV even if it's older.

less about halftime walk vs. all the rest of the DV movie.

Why would you bother? What DV60 content is there ever going to be? There's only one HDR10 movie, Long Halftime Walk.

And.... 3D
f6c.jpg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
3D was killed off to make way for Holographic 3D display that require no glasses. It's coming. Seriously.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'm not convinced glassless 3D will resolve anything.

plus old 3D content will look weird just floating in space...

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
in conclusion... the best compromise that i'm hearing here that i can hope for is to get a used 2016-ish LG OLED DV30 that can do 3D but i wouldn't be able to watch something like billy halfwalk as that's DV60

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sigh. You CAN watch it, just not in 60fps DV. I don't even know if any streaming services have it in 60fps, do they? The disk is only HDR10 60fps. Not DV. It's not even a good movie. =)

Honestly you are getting yourself all wrapped up on a dead technology. You are gonna blow a ton of money on a 3 year old TV to make a point?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
no, i'm just late into everything. i *JUST* got a pioneer kuro 141... because it was free :)

i *JUST* got a optoma projector capable of 3D... so just getting into 3D content here. yes i know it's largely decline...

but until Disney and some smaller shops like the 3D Archive organization says "I GIVE UP NO MROE BD3D" coming from us and they officially say i give up and i'm over and done. i'm still happy with the already created 3D content of which there are least close to 300 to 500 titles. it's abit like SACD, yes most people are done with it... but still have held on to the ones i have.

i can live with that :)

as for the TV... that is just a way for me to get into OLED maybe 4K DV and still use it to watch 3D discs without having to power on 3D projector everytime.

Sigh. You CAN watch it, just not in 60fps DV. I don't even know if any streaming services have it in 60fps, do they? The disk is only HDR10 60fps. Not DV. It's not even a good movie. =)

Honestly you are getting yourself all wrapped up on a dead technology. You are gonna blow a ton of money on a 3 year old TV to make a point?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There is no home video version of Billy Lynn that plays in both 3D and 60fps.

The 2D UHD disc plays at 60fps. The 3D BD plays at 24fps.

Only way to get both was to see it in theaters that way.

The Blu-ray 3D specifications do not support HFR, and the UHD specifications do not support 3D.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
^see my reply before your post.

yep i understand that. i wasn't expecting to play UHD+3D+DV HFR

although that would have been pretty c00l :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Actually this is not correct. 3D was killed off to allow for more light output on flat panels for HDR applications.

Oh. Do you think Holographic 3D displays will be widely available within the next decade.

The tech is in its infancy, but I definitely see it happening.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
no, i'm just late into everything. i *JUST* got a pioneer kuro 141... because it was free :)

i *JUST* got a optoma projector capable of 3D... so just getting into 3D content here. yes i know it's largely decline...

but until Disney and some smaller shops like the 3D Archive organization says "I GIVE UP NO MROE BD3D" coming from us and they officially say i give up and i'm over and done. i'm still happy with the already created 3D content of which there are least close to 300 to 500 titles. it's abit like SACD, yes most people are done with it... but still have held on to the ones i have.

i can live with that :)

as for the TV... that is just a way for me to get into OLED maybe 4K DV and still use it to watch 3D discs without having to power on 3D projector everytime.

Why don't you just stick with your projector? Optoma DLP 3D is fantastic, and the immersion blows away anything you watch a tiny TV 65" and under.

I didn't make a mistake in buying the last 3D TV ever made (65" Sony Z9D) because it is a very bright and beautiful set, but the 3D is really good on it...and I use it never. Projection only. Every time, and twice on Sunday.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'm tryign to reduce the footprint for the amount of physical discs i have. keeping JUST BD3D for movies vs. 2D as well. like avater theatrical cut i'll only watch it in 3D (for example)

Why don't you just stick with your projector? Optoma DLP 3D is fantastic, and the immersion blows away anything you watch a tiny TV 65" and under.

I didn't make a mistake in buying the last 3D TV ever made (65" Sony Z9D) because it is a very bright and beautiful set, but the 3D is really good on it...and I use it never. Projection only. Every time, and twice on Sunday.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
“Holographic” is not the correct term. Glasses-free 3D has nothing to do with holography. The term you are looking for is “autostereoscopic”.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks