What's new

Are there any concert's (ROCK) that are 16x9 and look as good as Peter Frampton?? (1 Viewer)

darrin

Stunt Coordinator
I was just watching this DVD and blown away by the quality.
I am looking for more 16x9 concerts of this quality.

darrin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeff! I think I will pick this one up. I also heard
there was a WHO disc that was awesome as well. Maybe I will
check that out too.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Off the top of my head, other good 16x9 concerts on DVD:
- Bruce Springsteen: Live from NYC
- The Cranberries: Beneath the Skin
------------------
Check out...
http://www.upadhyays.com/films-ht

Dan B

Screenwriter
darrin,
That Who disc is "The Who: Live at the Royal Albert Hall". Lovely picture on that DVD.
-Dan
resident Who fanatic

David James

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Frampton DVD and think it looks and sounds great. I think the new Springsteen DVD also looks and sounds great. I prefer the way 5.1 was used on the Springsteen DVD better than Framtons.

Gruson

Second Unit
I was let down by the Frampton DVD, I guess because I was use to seeing it in HDTV (1080i).

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I disagree a little on the Cranberries recommendation. I have that disc (they're one of my wife's favorites and I like them too).
The DVD is 16:9 anamorphic and the video quality is okay, but definitely not as good as Frampton. And for some reason, you just don't feel as much like you're there as with some other concerts.
In addition, the editing is really annoying to me at times since the frame never stays focused on one shot long enough. Constant cutting from one angle to another and one band member to another. A little of that is good, but I find myself saying "just give me a shot of the stage and stay there awhile!"
On top of this, the Cranberries Live Beneath the Skin DVD has probably the worst menu navigation of any disc ever. Just horrible.

DEAN DE FURIA

Stunt Coordinator
I second the Queen and Bruce discs. I was very impressed with their quality. You might try Santana- Supernatural, too.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Frampton and Springsteen discs are the two best looking ones in my collection. Paul Simon - You're The One is also 16x9 anamorphic and looks good, but I was disappointed in the performance.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

Mike_Skill

Stunt Coordinator
The new 'Queensryche' DVD shot this year has a pretty amazing anamorophic picture. The audio is top notch as well.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Darrin,
If you're the guy I'm thinking of, you know my brother Mike.
Did you used to work at The Forum in Bayonne?
I also have the Frampton DVD and it is visually incredible. The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" isn't as good visually but sounds better.
------------------
JB
My baloney has a first name it's H-O-M-E-R my baloney has a second name it's H-O-M-E-R

Paul James

Stunt Coordinator
If you have a multi zone DVD player with PAL capability I recommend the just released The Corrs - Live in London . The picture quality (16x9) is the best I have seen on a concert DVD by far and the audio has both DD & DTS. As well as multiple angles on 5 tracks and a 25 minute documentary it is a fantastic DVD and a great concert. Easily the best of the four Corrs DVD's released so far.
219344.jpg

Paul.

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
~ If you like classic rock try one of the most famous concert movies ever made, *Song Remains The Same* by Led Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden. It is a anamorphic transfer but only has a [DD] Stereo Surround track. Though the video transfer is *very good through most of the live, and all of the movie footage, *being that it is from 1973 . The audio source from back then, and especially used by Zep has always been somewhat lacking in dynamic range including bass, but it's still a clear sound, though a flat clear sound. It has some really cool special effect movie scenes that blend in nicely with the live concert footage. It's a WB snapper dual layer disc that runs a 136 min.
bodymov'n
cool.gif

------------------

darrin

Stunt Coordinator
Wow!! Looks like I'm gonna go broke! I (ironically) was
watching "Song remains the same" yesterday. I love the movie
but the quality is pretty bad. I bet that's the best we will
see it though.
John- I am not that Darrin, but I know who your talking about. I work out at Mid-city now, not The Forum. Small
world huh?

Dan M

Second Unit
Alice Cooper: Brutally Live
anamorphic widescreen
offers dts as well as DD. alternate angles.
------------------
[Edited last by Dan M on November 17, 2001 at 09:02 AM]

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
~ Darrin..., actually the SRTS dvd is quite an improvement over the two previous P&N and Widescreen LaserDisc versions. Being almost 30 years old though the quality is very good for that time. It certainly is not of the audio/video quality of some of todays la musica, but I've seen some newer concert footage that doesn't fair as well as the 1973 dinnasour.
bodymov'n
cool.gif

------------------
[Edited last by Mike Friedrich on November 17, 2001 at 09:55 AM]

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I for one found the sound on SRTS to be quite lacking. The problem is not in the recording, but in the mix, (just listen to the sound on the Stones Gimme Shelter DVD, this was also partially recorded at MSG, some 4 years earlier than the Zeppelin concert. Full and rich, tight deep bass. This will definately rattle a few glasses).
Page should go back and remix this concert from the multi-tracks. Even the lp sounds better than the movie.

david cro

Agent
Talking Heads - Stop making Sense, it seems as though this title has been overlooked, or is it just me who thinks it's brilliant. As well as an excellent 16x9 picture, it also has two different DD5.1 mixes, a live ambient mix with plenty of reverb as you'd expect, and a tighter more controlled mix (ala the studio). If I only had one concert dvd in MY collection this would be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks