What's new

Are there any complete system kits available? (1 Viewer)

Joseph Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, everyone,
Sorry for such an elementary question, but I am looking at upgrading my measley main speakers this year, and due to this board, am now considering the DIY route. However, so far as I can see, it seems like _most_ of you are doing separate speakers (one of you will be doing a center channel, someone else is doing surround, etc).
Are there any complete systems available that include the center, front, surround, and subwoofer? I have seen the Audax system at www.madisound.com and this definitely is in the ballpark that I am looking at. But I would like other options to consider.
Also, the Audax system has a relatively large center channel. Do any DIY systems have smaller centers? I know, the smaller center will not have the sound/presence, but I have to figure in the Wife Quotient as well ("What's that huge box doing on top of my television?").
My current receiver only has speaker-level outputs. The subwoofer kits I have seen so far have talked about high and low inputs. Is this the same as speaker-level and preamp-level inputs?
I consider myself a complete newbie with respect to speaker kits. I have never built one (or even considered it prior to this week). However, I am quite familiar with woodworking techniques. Therefore, I am not afraid to build a speaker cabinet, but I know nothing about designing one. Does anyone have any pointers for books and/or software, or do you recommend sticking with tried-and-true designs that are given in kits?
I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of things, but I have to save something for my next post!
Thank you one and all,
Joseph

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
A 2 way monitor makes a great center channel. There are many quality 2 way moniter kits- make 5 and the sub of your choice and there is the complete set. There is no matching to worry about with the sub choice.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
I agree with Brian. I actually did build the Audax system. I like it very much, but might consider doing something different for the center if I had to do it again.

My wife was in shock when I showed her the unfinished box for that center channel. I would probably jut make another main and use it as the center if I were to do it again.

I have also heard alot of good things about kits using VIFA drivers as well. And if you want to spend some bucks (in comparison) you might look at the ACI products in kit form. I wish I could have afforded to go that way.....

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I have also heard alot of good things about kits using VIFA drivers as well. And if you want to spend some bucks (in comparison) you might look at the ACI products in kit form. I wish I could have afforded to go that way.....
Rick,

I was going to suggest just that! I think 5 Emeralds would make an excellent HT speaker system. I currently have 3 for my fronts and love them. I'm in the process of building a pair of GR Research AV1's to try out. They're about the same size of the Emeralds but are about 3" or so deeper. If that isn't an issue then they may be the way to go as they are about $100 cheaper per pair in their shielded versions than the Emeralds.

The one thing I will say about the Emerald kits is that their instructions and box diagrams are much more thorough and would be easier to follow for a first time builder. Also, the Emerald crossovers can be purchased pre-assembled.

I'm going to post my impressions along with a comparison with the Emeralds when I finish the AV1's.

Brian

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
A 2 way monitor makes a great center channel. There are many quality 2 way moniter kits- make 5 and the sub of your choice and there is the complete set.
I agree.
I'd suggest taking a look at the Adire 81's They're a great sounding speaker and not too expensive to build. I currently use a pair as mains. You could build 4 of these for your fronts and rears and build the 81C for the center. Then add an Adire Rava for a sub. (I suggest the Rava because you'd be hard pressed to build a similar sub for the same price.) Put all of this together and you'd have a great "smaller" system.
-EJ

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator

Denton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Denton
If, like me, you find the wood-working part of this project a problem, you might consider the Vance Dickason designed HT system. Parts Express sells the cabinets assembled. The drivers (from Audax and Morel) are available and the crossover designs are free. You build the crossovers and assemble the speakers.
PE also has a Dickason designed 10" sub kit available with a pre-finished cabinet. Of course you are not limited to that choice.
Might be worth a look....
www.partsexpress.com/tech/300-650.html

JackM

Auditioning
Having assembled the Audax HT system, I PROMISE you won't be disappointed. I've had the front 3 speakers running for a couple of months (not THAT much usage), and my wife and I were commenting tonight how GOOD they sound for music (break in time passes!). Yeah, the center channel is big...but I've got to tell you, it does such a great job of both dialog as well as music, sound effects, or whatever has been mixed into that channel.

When I began researching all of this a year ago, I looked at a lot of stuff talked about on the Madisound board. I looked at the mega-buck stuff Zalytron offers, and others. Ultimately, you have to figure out where the cost/benefit ratios get out of line. I would ABSOLUTELY do this system again.

SteveF

Grip
If, like me, you find the wood-working part of this project a problem
Denton, it is worth noting that most hardware/wood shops will do cuts for you. I would be surprised if your Kent or Home Depot spot wouldn't do this. Some of them charge by the hour or cut for accurate cuts, fancy routing, roundovers and more. At Kent or Home Depot, you would probably get the cut shop that also does their cabinetry and similar jobs. As long as you draw out clear instructions, they should be able to give you a good result.

Buying and cutting the MDF locally saves you a fair amount of cash, lets you get in on the design process and also lets you finesse the finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks