Are there any complete system kits available?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Hansen, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Joseph Hansen

Joseph Hansen Stunt Coordinator

Hey, everyone,
    Sorry for such an elementary question, but I am looking at upgrading my measley main speakers this year, and due to this board, am now considering the DIY route. However, so far as I can see, it seems like _most_ of you are doing separate speakers (one of you will be doing a center channel, someone else is doing surround, etc).
    Are there any complete systems available that include the center, front, surround, and subwoofer? I have seen the Audax system at www.madisound.com, and this definitely is in the ballpark that I am looking at. But I would like other options to consider.
    Also, the Audax system has a relatively large center channel. Do any DIY systems have smaller centers? I know, the smaller center will not have the sound/presence, but I have to figure in the Wife Quotient as well ("What's that huge box doing on top of my television?").
    My current receiver only has speaker-level outputs. The subwoofer kits I have seen so far have talked about high and low inputs. Is this the same as speaker-level and preamp-level inputs?
    I consider myself a complete newbie with respect to speaker kits. I have never built one (or even considered it prior to this week). However, I am quite familiar with woodworking techniques. Therefore, I am not afraid to build a speaker cabinet, but I know nothing about designing one. Does anyone have any pointers for books and/or software, or do you recommend sticking with tried-and-true designs that are given in kits?
    I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of things, but I have to save something for my next post!
    Thank you one and all,
    Joseph

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

A 2 way monitor makes a great center channel. There are many quality 2 way moniter kits- make 5 and the sub of your choice and there is the complete set. There is no matching to worry about with the sub choice.

3. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

I agree with Brian. I actually did build the Audax system. I like it very much, but might consider doing something different for the center if I had to do it again.

My wife was in shock when I showed her the unfinished box for that center channel. I would probably jut make another main and use it as the center if I were to do it again.

I have also heard alot of good things about kits using VIFA drivers as well. And if you want to spend some bucks (in comparison) you might look at the ACI products in kit form. I wish I could have afforded to go that way.....

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

5. Andy Watts

Andy Watts Extra

You could do the "Bang" as your mains and rears...
    http://www.adireaudio.com/misc/free_designs/the_bang!.htm
    Price is $350 for 2 pairs.
    Maybe even use one as the center?
    And a nice Shiva based sub for $200-250 and you have spent a total of less than $690 as opposed to the $850 for the Audax kit.
    Andy

6. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

7. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

8. Denton

Denton Stunt Coordinator

Denton
    If, like me, you find the wood-working part of this project a problem, you might consider the Vance Dickason designed HT system. Parts Express sells the cabinets assembled. The drivers (from Audax and Morel) are available and the crossover designs are free. You build the crossovers and assemble the speakers.
    PE also has a Dickason designed 10" sub kit available with a pre-finished cabinet. Of course you are not limited to that choice.
    Might be worth a look....
    www.partsexpress.com/tech/300-650.html

9. JackM

JackM Auditioning

Having assembled the Audax HT system, I PROMISE you won't be disappointed. I've had the front 3 speakers running for a couple of months (not THAT much usage), and my wife and I were commenting tonight how GOOD they sound for music (break in time passes!). Yeah, the center channel is big...but I've got to tell you, it does such a great job of both dialog as well as music, sound effects, or whatever has been mixed into that channel.

When I began researching all of this a year ago, I looked at a lot of stuff talked about on the Madisound board. I looked at the mega-buck stuff Zalytron offers, and others. Ultimately, you have to figure out where the cost/benefit ratios get out of line. I would ABSOLUTELY do this system again.

10. SteveF

SteveF Extra