Are there any Clash fans here???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanaA, Feb 9, 2002.

1. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Also, I love the Clash live CD, but wonder if there's anything out there showing them at their best live on DVD.

2. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

yes i am a clash fan, but to be honest i didn't even know they had a live album. some of their stuff (the beginning) i think is truly great and some of their stuff ( the end ) i can't even listen to. my favorite songs include hate and war, clampdown death or glory etc.. i'm curious dana, do you think mick jones or joe strummer was the driving force behind the clash. i have no opinion one way or the other but would be interested hearing yours.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I love the Clash. In fact, as I write this I am listening to my "Sandinista!" LP and making a CD of it. I have never heard "Cut the Crap" but I don't consider it to be a Clash album. Everything else I love. I haven't heard the live CD yet, but am interested. Is it good?

As far as I know there is nothing on DVD and nothign planned. I have a rare LaserDisc entitled "This Is Video Clash" with all the videos and a couple live performances and it's great.

4. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Count me in as well Dana. I've been listening to The Clash since shortly after London Calling was released, and picked up Combat Rock the week it was released. I have to say, those are definitely my two favorite albums. The first album is a classic, but I guess Combat Rock just has a sentimental value to me. It was CR and London Calling that got me through high school.

Anyway, I just recently, finally, got Sandinista on cd and it's way cool. I haven't listened to that one in years. It may be a little long as a whole, but there are several choice cuts there. I'm not all too much into Give 'em Enough Rope though.

My favorite original LPs in order from best to worst...

London Calling

Combat Rock

The Clash

Sandinista

Give 'em Enough Rope

As fo r who was the driving force in the Clash, I won't open that can of works, but I will say that I've enjoyed Mick Jones' post-Clash work (B.A.D.) much more than Joe Strummer's.

5. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Count me in. I absolutly love the Clash.[​IMG]

6. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Great to hear there are some Clash fans out there. As to Dale's question, the pairing, in my eyes, was symbiotic. Strummer just spit out the songs, with Mick usually doing absolutely great background vocals and very underappreciated guitar, with the occasional lead vocal thrown in. And Phillip, yes, the live album is more than great, especially the first half of it. In fact, it is now my favorite Clash CD, with London Calling my favorite studio CD by the Clash. And I also want to say something to you Eve. If I'm correct, you were the one who posted on the weird mall stories who dresses in black. I wanted to tell you that I'm still a big punk fan and see local groups in Northern California a few times a year. The thing is that I'm 50 years old and look somewhat out of place at these concerts and I was still the oldest when I used to watch groups like X and Black Flag during punks hey day in L.A. Luckily, I know some of the musicians pretty well, so nobody thinks I'm just a parent there with my 14 year old daughter, who also loves punk music, Clash being her favorite too. You keep on dressing just the way you like and ignore the little minds out there.

7. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Dana...right on sister!I also like Black Flag. On my list of favorites are the Ramones, Agent Orange, Dead Kennedys, Misfits, and the Sex Pistols. You are right..sometimes we need to ignore people with "little minds" I'm in my 20's and it's always cool when I see someone older who is happy with themselves and self confident enough to not let other people change the way they act, think, look or feel. You go girl!
    PS. I am not implying that you are old [​IMG] We are only as old as we allow ourselves to be.
    ANARCHY[​IMG]
    Eve

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I'm not a die-hard Clash fan, but I have the Combat Rock, The Story of the Clash Volume One, and The Singles CDs. Great stuff there. I was 12 (junior high) when Combat Rock became all the rage on MTV. In junior high back then, you weren't cool unless you had Combat Rock on tape and knew the words to "Rock the Casbah" by heart. [​IMG]

9. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I'm a fan of the band. My 2 favorite albums are London Calling (one of my favorite albums period) and Combat Rock. I wasn't even aware that there was a live album, so I'll have to pick that one up. I used to have a killer concert video (boot) that was rather powerful. Best punk band ever.

-Dan