are there any cheap ways to soundproof an apt.?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I can't take it anymore, my upstairs neighbors are driving me crazy stomping around 24/7, plus the floor squeeks right above my bed really loud, so it wakes me up every damn morning. Not to mention the resident fuckers managers park their damn boxy monstrosity expedition outside my bedroom window (in a no parking zone, no less) and IT wakes me up again every damn morning.
    I was considering taking some of that expanding foam in a can stuff and filling the void between the joists, but I'm concerened it either won't work, or I'll put too much foam in and it'll expand, popping the drywall away from the joist [​IMG]

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Most of the solutions I can think of are illegal[​IMG]
    Noise pollution, and thoughtless or hostile life forms, can make life pretty rotten.
    Is moving out of the question?

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

not out of the question, but it's a 60 day notice, so the soonest I could move would be january, I would normally expect the daily highs to be below 0F the first part of january.
    Also it's cheap rent, and I like the actual apartment.

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

soundproofing is hard. When we bought our flat, our neighbors could hear us whisper
    A couple of things to consider, noise is like water. One path in is enough to sink a ship like wise hearing the people stomp.
    Outlets generally let noise in, use foam inside them.
    Heavy drapes dampen the noise from outside, Double paining with plexiglass helps a lot.
    Adding layers of drywall on the ceiling with resilient channeling would do wonders. I have 3 layers of drywall and 2 of soundboard on most rooms. Drywall is cheap, if you can do it yourself, it would do wonders

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Stopping foot-stomping noises is nearly damn impossible. The heavy thuds will transfer across wooden beams/joists easily, and cannot be stopped unless the whole building was designed with "floating" ceilings from the start (where nothing on the floor above connects to the ceiling below). Stomping is mostly a non-issue if the building is made entirely from concrete, however.

Moving out is likely you're only solution. If you're lucky, you can stay in the same building, but be on the top floor.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I had thought of that max, but the building was built in about 1974, only 1 apartment on each floor have balconies, I'm lucky enough to have the 2nd floor, the one above me is the last one, and they've lived there for 10 years.
    renting in this town SUCKS, the housing costs are extremely low, but the rent is comparable to areas around portland, OR when I lived there back in the late 90's.
    I'm paying 450 a month for a 2 bedroom (HUGE too, because of that mid 70's build date I figure) a nicer 2 bedroom would run me 750 a month or more [​IMG]
    every time I live anywhere but the top floor I swear I'll never do it again, and then end up in this same situation [​IMG]
    the stomping is bad enough, but this guy has like a 12-ish y/o daughter that ALWAYS has her annoying friends over, it sounds like a god damn track meet up there [​IMG]

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I dealt with stuff like that last year, but it was traffic noise. I transfered to a different apartment in the same complex. A pain but it is a million times quieter. If it were people noise and it was constant that would drive me crazy. I'm already planning on moving out at the end of my current lease and buying a house. The only real option is moving out. I looked into draps, sound proofing material, all kinds of stuff. All of it was really expensive and a lot of trouble for just an apartment.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I wish I could afford a house, I've looked into renting a small house or duplex, but there's just no way I can afford it. I'm only going to be in this shit hole town 1-2 more years anyway [​IMG]

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Ouch. Maybe you can find a roomie and both of you can find a nice place together?

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

already have a roomie (that's another whack situation, it's my ex-GF, long story..) so I'm only paying 255 a month as my share.

11. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

Damn, I share your pain. My girlfriend and I are in a cool one bedroom right now. And the complex itself is fairly quiet... but damn, the people right above us are *so* loud. And I'm sure they aren't even really "doing" anything wrong. They're just walking. At least, that's what I think they're doing.

I swear though, sometimes it sounds like the lady throws on her high heeled shoes and runs the entire length of their apartment. *grrrr* The foot stomping is one I've not been able to put a halt to. Honestly, I don't think there's much I can do about it either. I don't feel like being a dick by going upstairs and saying something. It just isn't me only because I know they're only walking around.

Luckily enough, we're moving to a two bedroom apartment in the same complex but the only one available is once again on the first floor.

*sigh*

Scott.

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Well I saw a large 1 bedroom going for $2500 in my neighborhood so count yourself lucky

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Eat eggs for a couple months, save all the cartons, and staple them on the wall... seriously it works... but itll look but uggly, and by the end you'll go insane at another sight of an egg [​IMG]

14. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Philip, I can sympathise with your situation as I also live in an apartment (thankfully a quiet one). Still, there's definite irony here: people on a home theatre forum complaining about their noisy neighbours. [​IMG]
    Adam

15. AndyW

AndyW Agent

I lived in apartments for many years and I was constantly being woken up by my loud neighbors. I bought a white noise machine and it drowned out all the noise and I slept like a baby. Buy one of these, they cost 20-50 bucks and really work!

16. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

the people down the hall smoke heavily, and often have parties full of people that smoke, so I get that smell too, it fills everything.

we have a small parking problem too, people can park in front of their garages, then we can park along the garages for the building next door, and there are FOUR other parking spots, so 14 spare parking spots max. 2 bedroom apartments only have a single car garage, so only one spot. Some ass had his boat in the lot all summer, another guy has 2 cars that don't run, and there's another car that hasn't moved since I lived here. The street way at the end of the 30 or so garages is no parking on the far side, the side that actually has room for parking, this side has driveways every 20 feet, so the resident assholes parking in the tow away zone right out my window is especially annoying.

18. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I'll 3rd the statement of shitty housing in Grand Forks. Isn't there any newer buildings that don't have much noise pollution for cheap? I guess I shouldn't bother getting a 2nd SVS when I move back.

19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

not really leif, legacy isn't bad, but isn't great either. I lived in one of their older buildings, but a 1 bedroom is 575, a 2 bedroom is like 750, it's not even close to worth it.

20. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I feel this thread. A while back, I lived under a single mom and her 3 Teradactyl teenage daughters. Their stomping was loud as hell. Especially since the girl who lived there before weighed about 90lbs. and pranced like a pixie(heaven). It got so bad I went up there and asked them "Are you doing Kung Fu or something?"
    I had finally had enough, I set out and searched for the perfect place, in which I found. 4 flats, 4 adults, I put myself on the waiting list and hounded them monthly, 3 years later it paid off.
    Philip, one of the only choices is to move. Just take your time, and find the place that suits you. Stakeout the place and observe its activity.

BTW, is 1974 considered an old building in ND?