What's new

Are there any budget in-wall speakers that don't sound awful??? (1 Viewer)

Chad Sunderland

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I need to find some budget in-wall speakers, that don't sound terrible! The situation is this...for Christmas I bought my parents a cheap reciever, and gave them my hand-me-down Cerwin Vega 5.1 speaker system. Well...after everything is hooked up, it sounds pretty nice, but my Mom is flipping out about these speakers being hung on the walls (she is VERY picky about that kinda stuff), so my Dad wants me to find him some cheap in-wall speakers. The maximum he is willing to spend on speakers is $150 a pair. I know that isnt much, but my parents aren't into Hi-fi at all...he thinks he can $100 in-walls and have them sound like my Axioms.

So...tonight I go to BestBuy & Circuit City to check some speakers out for him, first stop was BestBuy, they had JBL, Bose, and one called Home Technics (I think), well...all of these speakers just sounded terrible! Next stop was Circuit City, all they had were Polk, the ONLY set that didn't sound awful were $280 a pair, but they still sounded no better than the current CV's that I paid $300 for the whole set!

One I am considering are the DLS speakers from PartsExpress, has anyone ever heard these? Also...my Dad would like to go with round speakers, with what I heard listening today, the square speakers all sounded better. Are there any nice sounding round ones...if not, I can get him talked into square ones. Thanks for ANY help you can give, this is my first time looking for in-wall speakers.
Chad

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to check out the Paradigm inwalls. They are pretty cheap and I'm sure they sound better than most Best Buy/Circuit City stuff.

Todd_Glassman

Auditioning
I just installed some in-walls from Home Theater Direct. I chose the AL-W65 (high definition series) for $120 per pair, and they sound incredible for the price! They sell only on their website: hometheaterdirect.com

Users who are viewing this thread