1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Are there 2 versions of remastered 2001?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SimonB, Jul 19, 2001.

1. SimonB

SimonB Auditioning

Hi all,
    I'd like to order the new 2001 from the US (I'm in Oz), but my usual DVD supplier (The Movie Store) only seems to show 1 disc that 'looks' to be the right one:
    "2001 A Space Odyssey Limited Box Set" that is $45.99???
    That's gonna cost me over AU$90 to get here! Jim advises me that this is the one I want, but it seems pricey? I've seen mention of a set with a film cell and some other extra's, is this it?
    I just want the movie, but if that box set is worth it, then.... Can someone give me the rundown?
    Thanks,
    Simon....

2. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

Simon,
    The Warner version is the cheaper one, yet has very little in the way of extras. But since you just want the movie, this one will do nicely.
    The best I've ever seen 2001 look on video...and I have seen just about everything that is available. Other than slight edge enhancement, the movie looks stunning on NTSC (R1). Near "reference" (check my "review" of 2001 on AVS' site, DVD, laserdisc software section). Yet can't help to wonder what the movie must look like on the PAL system. I'll be trying that one next!
    -THTS

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    The box set has the remastered DVD, plus audio CD soundtrack, a film cell, a poster offer (you pay shipping and handling), and a booklet, all in a foldout box that is about twice the thickness of a keep case.
    It was worth US$40 to me, but then again, I had the Criterion CAV laserdisc.
    - Steve
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Got Remo?

4. SimonB

SimonB Auditioning

Thanks Frank and Steve,
    So the Warner disc is EXACTLY the same disc as is in the boxed set?
    It sounds as if the boxed set may be worth getting. Is it an attractive box? [​IMG]
    I used to own the LD version (I think it was the MGM one), but it got stolen a few years ago.
    I've been holding off buying the DVD until there's a good version available (anamorphic etc, as NTSC non-anamorphic doesn't look crash-hot to me).
    Thanks for the info, I'll work out what I'm doing soon.
    Cheers,
    Simon....

5. SimonB

SimonB Auditioning

Thanks to EZYDVD's online "up and coming list, I refrained from buying the box set from the US (I'm in Oz) as I saw it was coming on on September the 1st....
    Well, I was DVD shopping today and I saw it on the shelf, got a sealed copy and will be watching it tonight in glorious anamorphic PAL on my widescreen TV! [​IMG]
    So, instead of paying US$45.99 (about AU$92), I paid AU$50 which is about US$27.
    Woohoo!
    Simon....