What's new

Are their any good games out for the PS2? (1 Viewer)

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
I have hade my PS2 for some time now.The first games i got were real cool, but now all the new games coming out are getting lame. The last good game I bought was GTA3. Even now i am getting tired of that one. It seems games today are just the same thing over and over again, they just slap a new name on it. For fifty bucks a game I want something new. I don't want a game I can beat in two days, I don't want a game were the last stage is the same as the first, just harder. I want a good game something that is worth fifty of my hard earn dollars. So if you can help me out here I will be most happy and forever greatfull. Thanks a bunch

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Mike, sounds like you need a good fat dose of REZ!

You want something unique that pulls you in and is utterly addictive REZ is your game. It may seem that the game is short at first but its anything but. Its hard to place it in a genre but it can be described as a shooter/music game. This one isn't for everyone but if you want something different that doesn't fall under the "same thing slapped with a 50 buck price tag" you found a winner! GO GET REZ NOW!

Also if you are looking for a high quality fighter that has a wonderful single player mode Virtua Fighter 4 is THE fighter to beat! The extensive options and deep fighting system separates it from the rest.

Theres my 2 recommendations.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Something I've been playing alot lately is Wipeout Fusion. I bought it about 3 months ago, played it for about a week, then shelved it while I got stuck into Tony Hawk 3 & GT3. While hardly original, if your after a game that can't be finished easily then this is it. Alot of reviewers have criticised the game for this, as it can indeed be 'throw your controller at the tv' difficult, but if you're patient, persevere and learn the tracks I think it's well worth the effort, and is probably the fastest racing game I've ever played, major adrenaline rush! You may want to rent it first to see if you're up to the challenge though.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Drakan the Ancient's Gates is really good. Also, don't forget a bunch of titles are now 24.99 or less(Ico, Twisted Metal Black, Gran Turismo 3, ATV Off Road Fury, Red Faction). I'll probably pickup TMB in a few weeks once I've finished Drakan.

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
GT3 Is only 24.99 where at, is it on sale or is that it's price from now on. If your going to buy TMB I would rent it first if you never played it. It was not worth 50.00 bucks and i'm not sure if it's worth 24.99 Thats just me though, You may love the game, but I found it to be way to hard to play without cheats.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Mike, GT3 has been re-released as part of the Sony Greatest Hits line at $24.99. So it should be available at that price everywhere from now on.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Onimusha

Gran Turismo 3

REZ

Frequency

Final Fantasy X

Devil May Cry

Time Crisis 2

Metal Gear Solid 2

Half-Life

Tekken Tag Tournament (if you like Tekken)

Those are just the ones I can think of that I liked.

paul h

Supporting Actor
TonyHawks3, SSX Tricky, BaldursGateDarkAlliance, Frequency, Rez, Timesplitters, WorldRallyChampionship, Drakan, Maximo, SilentHill2, VF4, SoulReaver2, HotShotsGolf3, JakAndDaxter, ICO, DevilMayCry, AceCombat4.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I believe GT3 is only $20 at Electronics Boutique/ EBX (at least, it is on their website!).

I really love Red Faction. . .it's not the most original game, just a first person shooter. But the control, graphics, sound, and story are all near-perfect.

I also like Twisted Metal: Black. A lot. A whole frickin' lot! It's a great multiplayer game, too.

If you're looking for something different, EA Rugby is pretty neat. The control is a bit strange (it has the problem of having to wait for character animations to finish when you try to change directions, etc), but once you get used to it it's pretty fun. It's good to have a friend who is familiar with the sport if you haven't watched it, although there is a decent description in the manual and an in-game tutorial.

Gitaroo Man and Frequency are fairly original music games. Frequency is good if you're into modern dance (house, techno, DJ-stuff) music, Gitaroo if you're into wacky Japanese-isms.

What kind of games are you into? RPG? Action? It sounds like you're into racing games, at least. I have NASCAR Heat 2002, which has a lot of neat features in addition to straight-up racing. It has a series of challenges, along the lines of "pass these three cars in one lap". There are dozens of them, all with real drivers and tracks. In the last set, you have to defeat The King (Richard Petty) himself!

If you like strategy games and war games, Ring Of Red is another pretty original game. The subject matter is a little edgy though. . .the premise is an alternate post-WWII world. You can see where that's headed, but picture mech warfare in the 1960's.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
After being initially unimpressed (particularly with having to sit through an uninterruptible 10-minute intro) with Jak & Daxter, I'm really getting into it now, so thats recommended. ICO seems really nice as well, but I really can't get my head round fighting the strange shadow things. GT3 is now so cheap that you can marvel at the pretty graphics and stunning handling model without worrying about how completing the game would bore you. Rez is one of the greatest games of the last five years, and an absolute masterpiece that everyone should at least try; like many works of art, its not to everyone's taste however.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
My 10-year old just got "Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future" and loves it because he gets to "ram sharks".

It does have beautiful graphics.

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
To add to other suggestions:

--------------------

Gauntlet

DOA2 Hardcore

Knockout Kings 2001

-------------------

Peter

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
As was mentioned, but not stressed nearly enough, I HIGHLY recommend Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec! It's the most complex, and difficult driving simulator ever created, guarenteed to keep you busy for months!
Other notables, in my collection anyway, Knockout Kings 2002, and F1: 2001.

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
WOW, Thank you all for posting. Alot of the games sound real cool. Thanks for letting me know GT3 is only 20

bucks, that will most likely be my next game.

Here is a new one for you all

Baseball

What is a good Baseball game.

Thanks again everybody.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I recommend Hot Shots Golf 3. I got it this weekend along with Virtua Fighter 4. However, I can't put Hot Shots 3 down. Good solid fun.

-Andre F

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
For baseball, I reccomend All Star Baseball 2003. Some people prefer High Heat but Hight Heat is very lacking feature wise and the graphics aren't very good. ASB looks great has plenty of features and I think plays very well. Avoid Triple Play like the plague though. It's awful.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
High Heat plays like real baseball and features true real life stats, if that's what you are looking for Go with High Heat, it does have quite a few features and while the graphics are not state of the art they are solid and do service to the game.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Virtua Fighter 4 is currently PS2 exclusive and hands-down one of the deepest and most enjoyable 3D fighters I've played (this coming from someone who doesn't ordinarily play fighting games).
Frequency is :emoji_thumbsup: excellent, a cross between Tempest and Rhythm game. Rez is also a stunner, if just for its totally original visuals. Gitaroo Man is also a wholly original game visually, although some may find it a tad simplistic and short, or too quirky for their tastes.
GTA3: The things about this game that appeal to me are actually the exploration aspects (the huge, vast living city you explore) and the amazing music/radio stations and variety of vehicles to drive. The violence is part of the game but not what makes it so appealing, IMO.
I also recommend Drakkan: The Ancients' Gate. A very vast and extensive landscape to explore. Ambient sounds are amazing. There is some pretty annoying clipping against walls and objects (your character gets stuck in place rather easily), but all that aside this is a sleeper hit.
Jak & Daxter is not an original game but it's an amazingly animated and humorous (not to mention huge) platform adventure that just downright fun to play.
Joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks