Are the Who coming to SACD or DVD-A?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brennan Hill, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Brennan Hill

Brennan Hill Stunt Coordinator

I thought I saw something somewhere...

2. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Find where and let us know.

-JNS

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

4. Brennan Hill

Great...thanks!

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Not really great IMO, as "My Generation" is a fairly weak album (IMO again). No need to replace my 20 year old vinyl re-issue. Release "The Who By Numbers" and I'll be buying.

NP: Andy Summers / Victor Biglione: "Strings of Desire"

6. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brennan, no problem.

8. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Not sure if hearing the song "My Generation" in crystal clear 5.1 will have the same impact for me. That song was born to be in gritty distorted mono. Its a song not about high fidelity, but about rebellion. I'm sure everyone here will disagree with me, but that song for me transcends its sound quality.

9. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I doubt it'll be 5.1. The interest in the SACD remaster stems from Shalmy going back to the original stereo master tapes, and the 'gritty distorted mono' apparently doesn't really represent how The Who originally recorded it. It'd be nice to hear Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia with SACD remasters, though. Speaking of which, I think Pete Townshend just released SCOOP 3 (lots of early Who demos) in the DVD-Audio format. It's listed on his official site.

Does anyone else blink at the sight of 'Anthony Hom' followed so closely by 'Anthony Thorne' at the left of the screen? It must be a karmic Tuesday here at HTF...

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Great. More opportunities for Jon Astley to screw up the old recordings... [​IMG]

11. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Anthony,
    An interesting remark. I will granted that the Who recorded in mutli-track and not in mono, but it was mixed in mono and to change how it sounds doesn't feel right to me. If they can somehow capture the raw feel of the recording in 5.1 or stereo, then maybe I'll think differently.
    I hope its not broken down to:
    Center: Daltrey vocal, Left: Entwhistle bass, Right: Townsend guitar, left rear: Moon drums, right rear: Ivy League backing vocals.
    Maybe we'll be lucky and they'll bring it Steve Hoffman to do the remix. Unlikely because it makes sense.
    I think we will never resolve the issue of original released mix and artist's intent. Do we accept the artists media at the time the song was made, or do we allow them to remix them 30 years in the future and give us what they wanted back them using today's technology?
    I think there is more to a recording than the artsists intent. It the magic of the moment, historical events like recording techniques at the time, accidents in the studio (good or bad), what drug they were on at the time, and so on.... I would welcome new mixes, but if they start to delete those old mixes in favor of the new ones, then that would be a disappointment.
    [​IMG]

12. Larry Geller

This is all a red herring. There hasn't been ANY mention anywhere (except here) of Talmy mixing a 5.1 version of My Generation. Like with the Stones, I think it's incredible that we'll finally getting this stuff in Stereo, after 30 years or so of waiting! If you want a taste of what MG will sound like, just check out I'm A Man on Who's Missing, it's already in Stereo.

13. Brennan Hill

If it's a red herring, why would Shel Talmy be posting it on his website? Unless you just mean the 5.1. I don't think that is happening either, but it does sound like a SACD stereo remix is coming.
    http://www.sheltalmy.com/whotapes.shtml

14. Larry Geller

I only meant the 5.1.