What's new

Are the vault doors weakening at WB?? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Happy to hear today that Ocean's 11 (obviously released to cash in on the remake) is coming to DVD in a SE. Not only that but Robin and the 7 Hoods (a favourite since it also features Der Bingle) and 4 for Texas. Could those vault doors which house the classic films be growing weaker. Rumor is that the original Haunting might be out sometime this Q4. To play Devil's advocate, I do wonder if these Rat pack movies would've come out if they weren't doing a remake (ala 59's Mummy coming out because of the Mummy Returns) Fingers crossed for more classics. Cheers.
------------------
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I've got mine crossed for Akira Kurosawa's Dreams...
------------------
sgon.jpg

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The Dirty Harry boxset gives me some meagre hope that WB may be seeing the error of their ways....we'll see.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
I'll believe this when The Omega Man is finally given a firm release date- and released on that date. We've been waiting for this since 1999.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Warner has so many great titles in their vaults...
Time After Time
Soylent Green
O Lucky Man
Kurosawa's Dreams
Clash Of The Titans
Valley Of The Gwangi
Strange Brew
Hammer films
Initially, Warner was excellent at getting lots of diverse catalog titles onto the market. It seems like they've slowed way down.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I do wonder if these Rat pack movies would've come out if they weren't doing a remake...
I think you hit the nail right on the head. This isn't a commitment to their vault, just them cashing in on a tie-in.
So, it's good to know that when they remake King Kong, etc., we'll get those discs!
Yahoo!

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
This isn't a commitment to their vault, just them cashing in on a tie-in.
Well, I was trying to be hopeful. I mean they could've just put out Ocean's 11 and no more
wink.gif
------------------
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
If WB releases THE HAUNTING (1963)soon I may die of shock.
Given so much to release from their vault, it's ridiculous that they can't find even 5% to give us at any particular time...there's so much there if they recognize it as a particular collectors market and not the usual new movie release.
[Edited last by BarryR on August 27, 2001 at 12:01 PM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, I was trying to be hopeful. I mean they could've just put out Ocean's 11 and no more
Actually, they are probably trying to cash in on the cash-in!
Here's the way the thought process probably worked:
Flunky #1: "Hey! Let's cash in on the remake of Ocean's 11 by putting out the original version!"
Flunky #2: "Cool! Hey, let's cash in on sales of the original Ocean's 11 DVD by putting out two other Rat Pack flicks that were even MORE popular than that one!"
Flunky #3: "Awesome! Let's go tell the boss!"
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'd have to agree with Mitty on this one. Warner's Marketing Department obviously only sees their library as a quick cash in to tie-in with the latest hot new release. If this is the case then their Marketing Dept hasn't been doing a very good job at it. Plenty of missed opportunities over the past few years.
Here are just a few they dropped the ball on:
HAUNTING (1963) tie-in with HAUNTING (remake)
POINT BLANK (1967) tie-in with PAYBACK (remake)
KING KONG (1933) tie-in with any JURASSIC PARK movie
BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS (1953) tie-in with that rip-off with the wrong title GODZILLA
THEM! (1954) tie-in with STARSHIP TROOPERS
DIAL M FOR MURDER tie in with PERFECT MURDER (remake)
Here's some future suggestions for Warner at no charge. It seems they need all the help they can get.
ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA - Again a missed opportunity that could be TIED-IN perfectly with the GODFATHER COLLECTION, but redemption is around the corner with a Tie-in with GANGS OF NEW YORK.
KING KONG - Maybe enough time to tie-in with JURASSIC PARK III DVD.
HORROR OF DRACULA/CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN. Chris Lee has major parts in TWO of the biggest blockbusters coming out in the next year (LORD OF THE RINGS/STAR WARS episode 2).
Also horror movies SELL VERY WELL around HALLOWEEN time. You have a built in holiday tie-in right there.
Oh and thanks for the glorious Special Edition version of the THING (1951) on VHS only. Glad to see that your still supporting a dying format.
Sorry for the long rant. I haven't beat up Warner in awhile.
Jim

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for the long rant. I haven't beat up Warner in awhile
Did you not paticipate in the OAR outcry then, with Wonka and other titles? Sorry you missed a, ahem, GOLDEN opportunity. :)
I'm sure everyone else MORE than made up for you. And, hey!, nothing's been decided officially about LoTR yet; you may still get your change to WB-bash!!!
wink.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Did you not paticipate in the OAR outcry then, with Wonka and other titles? Sorry you missed a, ahem, GOLDEN opportunity.
Yeah I missed that one. When I did notice it the thread was already 10 pages long. I just figured anything I had to say was said a hundred times already. Besides Warner has been toying around with releasing non-OAR family titles for awhile (SPACE JAM/LORD OF THE RINGS, etc..)so this really didn't suprise me at all. I was glad at the outcry & proud of the members here for banding together on this issue. However I don't see as much of an outcry for Bashki's LOTR non-OAR release. All this does is show Warner its okay to do this for the less popular titles. Now while I'm all worked up I'll go post something in the LOTR thread.
wink.gif

Jim

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Mitty probably hits the nail on the head: ca$h-in$$-
However, Ill have myself committed to the nearest asylum if
THE SHELTERING SKY ever sees the light of my monitor....
------------------

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hey, they announced two more today!
Little Women (1933 - Kate Hepburn)
Now Voyager (Bette Davis)

The crack widens...
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Mitty

Supporting Actor
You mean these assholes have the rights to Omega Man and Soylent Green and they're not release them with special editions with remastered picture and sound?
Yes, although I think that's a bit harsh (and possibly even a breach of HTF rules, although I'm not sure). After all, couldn't you find any unreleased title in their library and call them assholes for not releasing it? Makes sense, no? Even if WB did have a strong commitment to their catalogue, SOME titles would be still go unreleased because they can't simply release everything at once.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm surprised they just announced Little Women yesterday. It's been listed at Amazon for a couple of weeks now. I'll definitely get it. The recent remake seemed like a "girls only" movie, but the original is a classic film that anybody who likes old movies would enjoy. "Christopher Columbus, marmy!"
Perhaps only related in my mind, but this release reminds me of the Laurence Olivier version of Pride and Prejudice. Who do we need to lobby to get that one released? The tape was put out by MGM.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Go ahead and censor yourself Mitty, but I won't. HTF rules clearly state that profanity is allowed WITHIN threads, yet not encouraged in thread titles. As far as Studio bashing goes, I'm sure HTF doesn't condone it, but there are no "rules" against it.
Wow. I got through all that without one profane word. Fuckin' A. D'OH!
[Edited last by Ben Motley on August 29, 2001 at 01:46 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks