What's new

Are the Universal Monsters coming back? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I agree that it is a shame because I believe that "The Incredible Shrinking Man" deserves a DVD release.:frowning:

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Amen to that! The Incredible Shrinking Man is one of my most wanted DVD's!

I just found out about Universal discontinuing their classic monster line a few days ago. I've been checking all of the online stores and that's been a bust, my local b&m stores only delievered me Creature (thank god!) in a smashed to hell keep case...thankfully the disc was not damaged. I still have the two Suncoast stores (in all of their over priced glory!) to check, though the last time I checked they didn't have the titles I was looking for.

Later
Jim

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I have the box set of the classic monsters
I have an extremely nit-picky question for you then, can you tell me if the DVDs included in the box set have those annoying black dots over the UPC a la the DVDs in the Hitchcock box set?
See, I told you it was nit-picky. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Dvd's in box set do have black dots. I would wager that The raven will come out as a double feature with the black cat, as I remember it being available that way on VHS back in the day.

And I'll add my 2 cents in as far as re-releasing the double features in a box set, I'd snap it up the second I see it on the shelves!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
I found Dracula 2 or 3 weeks ago at my local Borders and nabbed it; and they still had 2 of Frankenstein as well (already got it). So, there are still some out there.
I was kinda' down on these discs when they first came out, but now that I've calibrated my TV they look much better (imagine that...! :b).
I think we'll see these again sooner rather than later. Anybody know why Universal withdrew them in the first place?

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I saw the monsters 3 pack (Dracula,Frankenstien,Wolfman) at my local borders. However it is locked up in a glass case so I could not see the price.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Quick tip Richard: buy from Australia - same discs available for less than £8 each fully shipped.
Great!! Thanks. :emoji_thumbsup:
I didn't know they were released in Australia.....in fact, I remember checking not long ago.....when were these titles released?

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I already have all of the existing discs, but I sure do wish Universal would continue issuing new titles. I really want that Revenge of the Creature/Creature Walks Among us double feature. Not to mention House of Dracula.

I'm thinking Universal was disappointed in sales of their last waves of double features. Of course, if they had sold them at a more reasonal price...

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Thanks James, I've just read that they were released just yesterday (10/09).
buy from Australia - same discs available for less than £8 each fully shipped.
Actually, it seems, looking at the specs at several on-line stores, that the R2/R4 versions of Dracula don't have the Spanish version included.......copyright difficulties in some countries perhaps....?
Anyway, I'm very fortunate that coincidently Dracula was the only R1 title I was still able to obtain a few months ago. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Just a heads-up: www.moviesunlimited.com seems to still have most of the Universal Monster DVDs in stock. According to the listings, quantities are limited and you're only allowed one copy of each title. You'll have to pay the full MSRP of $29.99 but that's better than eBay prices. Good luck!

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
When my wife still worked at Universal Home Video and these discs officially went on moratorium we made a special trip to the Universal employee store and bought up a bunch of these titles. I offered them to anyone wanting to buy for the cover price and nobody wanted them. We ended up taking them back to the store and getting our money back.

That said, you better believe they're coming back. You'll see them in new packaging and who knows, maybe even some new supplements.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks