What's new

Are the theatrical _Star Trek_ features finished? (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I hope they make another Trek film, but I would like it to be really good instead of like just another TNG episode.

Though honestly, I don't mind "just another TNG episode," consider the series was so good.

I don't want them to
bring Data back
because then it's too much like
bringing Spock back
and comes off as a cop-out. Either make new movies focusing on DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise, or make a new movie focusing on Riker and company.

I would like them to try again, though.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'd rather see a new film based on DS9 or Voyager. And don't make it a stand alone film. I thought that the success of TOS films were that they formed a story arc. Do this with the Trekm films from this point.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I think the reason Trek survived from the 60's was that it's original creator survived. While he wasn't nearly as clever a writer as the people he brought in (the first season of Next Gen were holdovers from his Star Trek: Phase Two days) he was inspiration and kept the course. When he died, the franchise lost its greatest asset. Now it is squarely in the hands of a marketing department that doesn't know what to do with it. Hell, Paramount is working so that even Gene's son Eugene can't sell products from his own father's original TV series. Until there is some new blood and someone willing to take some risks and try something different, the series will be dead. It is easy to rekindle with the right minds behind it, but I don't see that happening for quite some time. RIP

Phil

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
"It was a very big disappointment to us and remains a mystery," Paramount chair Sherry Lansing tells EW. Since exit polls suggest the $60 million sequel was a fave among Trekkers, Lansing adds, "We can only assume that the fan base in some way has shrunk."
It's no mystery

4 words

BERMAN BRAGA FIRE THEM

4 more

ESPERSON, MINEAR HIRE THEM

Not that I want those 2 leaving Team Whedon, but they could save the Trek franchise

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
4 words

BERMAN BRAGA FIRE THEM
Nahh, firing is too nice of a fate for Braga - they need to do worse things to him.

Berman isn't too bad, but when he's teamed with Braga it's BAD.

Braga is the worst thing to happen to Trek. Ever. They should've seen this coming from his craptacular TNG episodes.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Perhaps they should consider releasing the next 'Trek' film during late winter or the spring? Not as much competition at the BO.

Todd K

Second Unit
No one seems to be recalling the title of The Next Generation's final episode: "All Good Things... (must come to an end)."

I think it's a bit optimistic to think that a series or franchise can go on forever without showing signs of age. It's like a well that provided the sweetest water. Once it's dried up, it's dried up. Throwing a large breasted woman in a catsuit into it isn't going to bring the water back, right? You just have to reflect on all the good you got from it and move on to a new well.

It's getting to ther point where (I also feel this way about The Simpsons) each new Trek that comes out devalues what has come before it. This is especially the case with Enterprise, where established history is rewritten. The film franchise is moving in the same direction.

They should lay it to rest, because it really won't be dead, as long as we remember it.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Espenson and Minear's style doesn't really seem suited to Trek. At least not if you want it episodic. Also, they seem to thrive on intra crew conflict, which some would argue isn't appropriate for the franchise.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
There will be more Trek movies.

Berman already said there would be more.He mentioned 7 of 9 and mixing some of the casts rom different shows.

If Picard is in it,I may not be responsible for my actions -Id rather see Riker and Gordi on a ship of their own.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I dont understand how its financially sound to make another one. Unless they only spend $20mil. Their not gonna make any money back. I highly doubt their gonna make another one.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Well now that the Voyager crew is back, could they mix that crew with Reiker's new crew? Janeway is back at Starfleet, Picard is now an instructor (I think), and Reiker has his own ship with his wife and he needs a crew.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Morgan Jolley wrote (post #38):

Bingo! As previously stated in numerous places on these boards, Star Trek is designated "the franchise" by Paramount Studios. Despite, the box-office disappointment of Nemesis, they're not about to let their "franchise", which has brought in billions of dollars over its lifetime, die without a fight. Things don't work that way in corporate America.

There will be future Star Trek, probably both on the big screen and on television, whether for better or for worse. That is not to say the movies will necessarily be TNG-related, however. "Anything's possible with Star Trek," says Rick Berman. (I shudder when I think of him contemplating the possibilities.)

They keep making these movies and tv series, not because, the programs themselves make money---although I think they do---, but because these drive licencing and marketing in ancillary areas (teeshirts, videos (computer games), mugs, posters, books, amusement rides, etc). That's where the money is---in the "Star Trek brand". (Yes, still!) And that's why it's not going to go away just like "that".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks