Are the theatrical _Star Trek_ features finished?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Click, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Mike Click

Mike Click Stunt Coordinator

I have heard such bad reviews of the
    latest Star Trek movie Nemesis Nemesis which kills off Data, one of the *key* officers besides the best and 'only' cybernetic synthetic 'almost' human.

One of the stars killed off early in the series was Tasha Yar played by Denise Crosby in episode "Skin of Evil", brought back for one episode being a Romulan Captain. Tasha Yar and a Romulan officers daughter. Killing off Tasha Yar ended her Star Trek regular crew member statis, who was replaced by Worf.

IMHO they *can't* replace a key figure like *Data* and still go on.
    . So is the end of the Theater Movies of Star Trek? I don't think they will bring back Data, like they
    did Mr. Spock in Star Trek 3,
    What's your opinion?

Off/Topic I added 2 pics on Star Trek to my My Home Theater page underneath my sig.

2. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

it did so poorly at the box office, i would assume it's the end.

3. MichaelGH

MichaelGH Stunt Coordinator

I would say they most certainly left an opening to "bring back" Data
    in a manner of speaking. After all, Data uploaded all of his own personality files into his prototype counterpart. He could very easily take the place of Data once all of Data's files are integrated into his own files. Just speculation but if they decide to make more movies, that's what I would do to keep the fans happy.

4. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

This really belongs in Movies, but anyways.

What I think they should do

is a new television series focusing on Riker and his crew, and hold off on the movies for a bit. Or, do movies focusing on Riker and his crew, but with cameos from the remaining members of DS9 and maybe even some of the more popular Voyager characters.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Well, Spock was "killed" at the end of "Wrath of Khan" and was brought back to life in the next film. Therefore, it's not beyond reason to believe that Data can be brought back to "life".

6. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I would give the Trek Series a nice long break. Nemesis left the crew in all right places. I'll be content to get my Trek Fix with Enterprise (which is showing signs of Improving the last few weeks).

7. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier received even worse reviews and similar boxoffice and the Star Trek films continued so I think it is safe to say that more big screen Trek adventures are sure to come.

And no one really dies in Sci-Fi films anyway.[​IMG]

8. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Sounds right to me, Andy.

10. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

I think just about everything Star Trek is finished. The TV series ratings arent hot, Nemesis bombed and wasnt regarded as anywhere near good, I thought it was horrible. I'd say Trek is dead.

11. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Is it finished? One can only hope that it is...

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I hope not. I really enjoyed Nemesis, best of TNG bunch.

I hope they axe Picard, hand over the Enterprise to Captain Ryker and go for more aggressive, darker movies.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

13. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    They need to get a good story, and Paramount needs to REALLY spend the CASH. Trek movies seem more and more just like TV episodes, because the budgets are pathetically small. I think they spent more money on "Kangaroo Jack" than on "Nemesis"...and if that's true, WTF did they expect?? (not implying they are made by the same studio)

-Dennis

14. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

15. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Yeah, but your really gonna tell me that the TV shows have good ratings? Come on! ST is dying a slooooow death.

16. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

17. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

What killed Star Trek? Voyager and now Enterprise, thats what. Enterprise is just so stale and boring i don't even bother watching it on Sky. That's coming from someone who used to love Trek. Voyager turned the Borg into pantomine baddies as apposed to sinister, chilling cyborgs. The crew were pants also. The show did have one or two good points
    (namely Seven of Nine).

18. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

The series is only finished when Paramount is convinced that it has become unprofitable. As for actors who claim they want return for another film, that's just another way of say, "you're going to have to pay me more".

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Paramount is hopelessly clueless about what to do with "Trek." They're still trying to rationalize the failure of "Nemisis." From this week's Entertainment Weekly:

Has Star Trek's movie franchise reached the final frontier? Paramount execs are still puzzling over the dismal $43 million domestic gross of last December's Nemesis, the worst ever for a Trek film. "It was a very big disappointment to us and remains a mystery," Paramount chair Sherry Lansing tells EW. Since exit polls suggest the $60 million sequel was a fave among Trekkers, Lansing adds, "We can only assume that the fan base in some way has shrunk."

Uh, HELLLLOOOOO Sherry! I don't think the fan base has shrunk, but perhaps the ONLY people who went were the fan base. If you don't make a movie that appeals to non-fans, you automatically put a ceiling on the grosses. Makes sense to me, but obviously beyond the comprehension of a studio chair. [​IMG]

20. clayton b

clayton b Stunt Coordinator

I think when it was released had alot to do with it's gross as well. When it came out Die Another Day and Chamber of Secrets were both still making big dollars, and the week after Nemisis came out The Two Towers was released. Not to mention the fact that the week after that The Gangs of New York and Catch Me If You Can were both released.

Think about it, you're a non trek fan and a casual movie fan looking to go to the movies in mid to late dec. What do you go see? The new Scorsese film, the new Speilberg film, one of the two biggest sensations since Star Wars in either the new Potter or LOTR movie, one of the most recognized and popular film franchises (that was getting some pretty good review as well as being popular at the box office) in Die Another Day, or do you see the new Trek movie. That's some pretty rough competition.

While I don't think that Nemesis would have been a box office smash had it been released say in late Jan, I do think it might have had a fighting chance to hit the break even point...