Are the setting in PLII, dimension, center width, etc used in Dolby Digital mode?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if the settings in Prologic II mode, such as the Dimension, Center Width, and panorama settings affect performance in Dolby Digital, or are they two diffrent things? I own an Onkyo 797, but any other input is welcome.

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I don't think so. From my newbie perspective those settings are specific to prologic2. Dolby Digital provides 6 separate channels thefore not needing the panorama or dimension setting.

then again, I could be way off base.

3. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    DPL II works with DD 2.0 tracks. It won't do anything for 5.1 tracks. The adjustments are only available in music mode not movie mode. Music mode can be used for movies.

4. Randy Prue

Randy Prue Stunt Coordinator

On my Harman-Kardon AVR520, as soon as there is 5.1 Dolby source, the PL-II is disabled automatically. I took this to mean that it "knows" that ProLogic II is not needed with 5.1. I think most AV receivers (the ones I've looked at) have indicator lights that tell you what's enabled. If the PL-II is off, then I would also assume that its parameters are ineffective.

5. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

There are many DVDs that provide digital soundtracks with the following logos:

1) DD Stereo

2) DD Surround

3) DD 2.0

All of these digital sources as well as all stereo 2-channel analog sources can be used with and will benefit from DPL-II processing.

BruceD