Are the rptv's at walmart worth buying?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Isaacs, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Feb 20, 2000
    We were doing a bit of shopping at a superwalmart last night and they had 4 different sized rptvs from magnavox and rca.They both had decent pictures..and the price was right($1299 for a 50")
    Right now I am looking for a larger tv mainly for watching tv(using a dish) and working towards a fp for movies and anything else that deserves a BIG screen.
    I am currently using my OLD cheap 27" from ge,I had a 36" zenith up until a few months ago when It gave out..Only 1.5 years old,no warranty and I couldent justify paying almost as much as a new set to fix it.
    Anyway,since I already did the 36" I want bigger...but for undeer $1500,my viewing distance is 14"feet,possibly more if I rearrange the living room,but not much more than 5' or so.
    My dvd collection
  2. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Oct 25, 2000
    Well, it depends on if you want to spend $1200 on a non-HD ready set...
    Wal-Mart only sells plain-ol' analog NTSC RPTV's. They will not be able to display a HD signal, nor take advantage of a progressive scan DVD player. Also, most NTSC sets do not have a 16x9 mode to take advantage of anamorphically transferred DVDs.
    I know you can get the Sony 53HS30 for around $2000 - and the extra money would be well spent.
    I'm sure you can find cheaper HD ready sets - Panasonic - I think - makes a sub $2000 HD-ready set.
    I would definately look into a HD ready set instead of investing in soon-to-be outdated technology...
    -Ryan Dinan