What's new

Are the new Samsung HLR series worth it compared to the older HLP series??? (1 Viewer)

Mike Lee

Auditioning
I was looking to buy the HLP5085 but read that the newer HLR series is out. Is it worth the extra cost? I believe the HLR has a built-in tuner and a newer projector and dlp chip...

I know nothing about hdtv...would like recommendations though...i have about

John S

Senior HTF Member
$3000?? Look at Sony and even the more bargain Pansonic LCD RP's....

The HLR's are a pretty big jump in technology and performance over the HLP's in my opinion anyways.

New DLP light engine I think....

Mike Lee

Auditioning
John, which models do you recommend? I saw a few sony lcd rp next to some samsung HLNs...the sonys noticeably better

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a fan of DLP.... So I am weak on them.

I'm a rainbow see'r big time.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well the Sony's for sure. I also like the Panasonic, but it has more screen door effect than the sony's.

Sony's are the best LCD RPTV's out there. I mean, you can get like 1' away and still no screen door can be seen.

Mike Lee

Auditioning
john, which sony model# do you recommend? i'm looking for a 43"-50"

what is a screen door effect???

John S

Senior HTF Member
Sort of where you can see the actual panel grid. Maybe somebody else can explain it better than me.

Often you will read about people moving their seating back a little more so it cannot be seen. But as I said if you look for it on one of these newer Sony LCD Rear Projections, it just isn't there at all.

KDF-50WE655 $2795 at Circuit City right now with free delivery. That's the 50", I always suggest the largest size but of course. :)

Mike Lee

Auditioning
thanks...i'll look into it but i noticed that it doesn't have an NTSC tuner. won't i need this to watch non-hdtv with an antenna or can i just use a vcr?

again, i don't know too much about TVs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks