are the music man and west side story on dvd worth purchesing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan L B, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

I know west side story is bare bones but how is the quality of the print and the sound, same for music man.

2. Mitchell Kaufman

I'm not wild about the sound on West Side Story. The industry was producing some spectacular soundtracks in this era, and this has got a pinched, digital quality to it that I don't believe can accurately represent the real thing.

The PQ, OTOH, is excellent. A bit of EE, but nothing to get bent out of shape about. The color runs the gamut from exceedingly vivid (particularly in the nighttime scenes--take a look at "Hey, Officer Krupke") to a bit faded (the playground scene at the beginning of the film). It was photographed much like a b&w film, with a lot of modeling with light and shadow; this makes it look all the more impressive on video.

The Music Man has way too much EE, and has been over-enhanced to death. Pity, because the look of the source material is pretty darned good. The sound is O.K., but I have many of the same reservations as I do about WSS. If you want the film, it looks fine if you're not overly sensitive to these kinds of things (unfortunately I am), but they could've done so much better.

MK

3. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

4. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Two of the better transfer of musical films to DVD. Both titles look pretty damn good considering they are 40 years old. Definetly worth a purchase.

"The Music Man" features a new documentary with Shirley Jones and Buddy Hackett.

"West Side story" is pretty bare but it is the best I've seen outside a movie theater. I believe the SE isn't happening due to a law suit over the documentary featuring Jerome Robbins.

5. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

WSS has never had a decent music soundtrack. Even the original 70mm release was somewhat poor sounding for its time. The "pinched" sound has nothing to do with digital. Why the sound elements are the way they are is something of a mystery. MM has some edge enhancement but that is no reason not to purchase the DVD.

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I'll check these transfers out on my friend's Sharp 9000 DLP projector (90" screen) and let you know how they look BIG.

-dave

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Both transfers are excellent. If you are sensitive to EE, you may have to move your couch back from your television for Music Man, but that's about all that is wrong with it.

Regards,

8. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    I must disagree with those who find the PQ of TMM good. In addition to EE, the source print has a bleached look with colors looking washed out and weak, which is a shame, because this film has played on TCM in much better shape.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Wow, I've never heard anyone describe the MM DVD colors as washed out and weak. I have not seen it in a while, but I remember it as being very vibrant if not perfect and better than any prior letterbox version I have seen, particularly when viewed in 16:9.
    The only complaint beside the EE that I recall vividly was the incredibly loud version of 76 Trombones that played over the menu. [​IMG]
    Regards,

10. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

RE: "The Music Man"

When compared to the original letterboxed laserdisc (there were two releases) The laserdisc was pretty dark and had some dirt. The DVD is cleaner, clearer and brighter which may explain why the colors look a little washed out.

11. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I think West Side Story is a beautiful transfer, almost grain-free, with very good color.

12. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

When the DVD of WSS came out, one reviewer complained that the picture "broke up" during the scene where Tony & Maria first meet each other at the gym dance! Ummmm. For those who are not familiar with the scene, the director put all kinds of floating "stars" in color over the image.

13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    West Side Story is due for a massive

restoration and is being planned for

a future DVD release.

That release, however, could be up to

two more years away.

Just keep this in mind when you consider

any current DVD purchase.

14. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

The picture on the current WSS story looked very good to me (LCD Sony W400Q).
    However I still haven't bought it...because I'm lame. [​IMG] I have been meaning to though.

15. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

Ryan,

everybody seems to be in agreement that each of these titles is better than the other and worth getting/or not. Why not rent MM, and see which side you agree with?

Marty

16. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

i saw mm on tcm on saturday and saw no ee. is it the laserdisc transfer.

17. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron

18. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

Don't notice EE on the last Laserdisc release of MM, but I'll take another look.