What's new

Are the "Disney Treasures" series going to come in a non-tin version? (1 Viewer)

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about you guys, but I HATE "collector's tins" - other than the fact that they always cost more and the stuff you get with them (posters, little booklets) are never worth the extra cost. Plus the fact that they don't fit nice and neatly on my shelf is a big turn off.
Does anyone know if the Disney Treasures series is going to be made in a non-tin version?

Ike Graul

Auditioning
You may take heart in the fact that someone will probably design cover art for these titles. I realize that only addresses one of your grievances, but at least you could store them in standard cases and keep them on your shelf.
i

Brian Cruz

Agent
There are standard double-alpha cases inside the tins. No need to create special artwork or anything like that. You can just throw the tin away if you don't like it.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
First of all, within the tin is a standard 2 dvd case. So you can just throw away the tin if you like. It is not like Total Recall, and you do not need to make any new art.

Second, the tins themselves do fit pretty nicely on the shelf, although they don't have any identification on the sides to tell them apart.

Finally, since these are numbered and a limited edition, I kind of doubt if they'll be released in another form anytime soon.

Bottom line - if you are interested in the content, there is no reason IMO for the tin to dissuade you from buying now.

Real Name
Takayuki Kihara
I agree with others above. The tin looks very nice and is small enough to fit in the shelves.

BTW, I wonder how long it would take before these tin sets sold out. I preordered both Mickey and Silly Simphonies tin sets and received them yesterday, only finding out that the Mickey tin set already carries the number of 075643 (out of 150000). I guess this set is selling pretty fast (maybe it'll sell out in a matter of a month or two?), so I'll recommend anyone to grab it before it's gone.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Disney often released 'limited-edition' dvds (or vhs or ld for that matter), that really aren't. A whole wave of early Disney dvds were going to be limited, and then got reissued before too long.

But, sometimes they do hold things back. I think think that the things that are most likely to actually be unavailable for some period of time are either things of great demand (e.g., Lion King, Aladdin) or things perceived as having a much smaller audience, which is where I think these tins will probably fall.

Of course, eventually Disney always re-releases stuff, but you may not want to wait 10 or 15 years. I just don't see there being sufficient demand on these dvds to warrant a non-tin reissuing anytime soon.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I fought all week to find a Mickey Mouse in Living Color Tin. These have been hard to get in Canada. Mine is numbered 149901 out of 150000 so I think all the ones pressed have been shipped. In fact I bought 3of the 4 tins, Davy Crockett is just not my thing. All of which are in the 140000 range. I can not imagine there only being 150000 of these, with no non-tin version coming ever, but you never know. I have the Double cases with my collection and the tins are over with the rest of my collectible things. I would not take the chance of missing out on these, because the tin cost me 2 bucks more than a standard single DVD. Especially since this is a 2-disc set.

My $0.02

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I say BUY IT NOW.
1) Nice "normal" 2 Disc Case on the inside
2) These tins are VERY nice (and I have ALWAYS hated
previous tins).
3) Every reason to believe these DVDs are limited
(as others have stated)
I bought the Mickey Mouse in Living Color
set, and became so enamored of it, that I ordered
Silly Symphonies.
:)
Mark

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
I really don't consider these tins to 'cost more' than a standard DVD title. People are picking them up for $21-$23. So you spend $2 extra. If you can't afford that you need another hobby. These discs are worth the purchase.

John

Aaron Ulmer

Agent
I preordered these titles back in July at Amazon (and patiently waiting for status to change from "shipping soon").

Disney must have decided on the 150,000 number months before that. I'm wondering if they've underestimated the explosion of the DVD format and the demand for these titles. At this point in the market, it just seems rather a small quantity. I wouldn't be surprised if these sell out rather quickly.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Aaron-
If you read the review of Mickey Mouse in Living Color
over at dvdreview (or was it dvdfile),
they say that when Disney released animated classic
on LD, they didn't sell well.
I think that because DVD has a deeper penetration
than LD did, maybe Dinsey did underestimate the demand.
..maybe not.
Like I aldready said, I wasn't that excited about
these titles, and pretty much bought Mickey
Mouse In Living Color
on a whim.
After reviewing the content, I feel compelled
to at least purchase Silly Symphonies, which if anyone
is super eager, DVDplanet has listed as being "in stock."
-Mark

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My local Costco has GOBS of the SS, MM, & DL-USA for $21.99 each. There might be some DC under the stacks; I didn't check as I already got mine (they're under the tree! :frowning: ).
With all this talk, I'm considering investing in a bunch of these and eBaying them later on... :D

Daniel Schenk

Stunt Coordinator
I don`t think Disney underestimated the demand for these Tins. After all,most People (even the ones on the Forum) are only buying the Mickey and some also the Silly Tins. I would say these two are selling fast and are probably sold out already at a few locations. However there are tons of the Disneyland and Davy Crockett Tins out there and considering this i say 150`000 is a nice edition. Not too small and not too high. I only hope the Tins are successful enough for Disney and can`t wait for possible Donald Cartoon Short Collections!:)

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
These tin's rock!

As an old Laserdisc fan, I love to see these types of releases.

I remember the MICKEY MOUSE: BLACK & WHITE YEARS laser release and how Disney got upset because it didn't sell. That was it for the archived stuff on laser. Thankfully I was able to get that set, because I don't think you'll see these any time soon or ever.

Disney in Japan did release a DVD called MICKEY MOUSE: THE BLACK & WHITE YEARS which features the artwork of the previous laserdisc set and it did include cartoons that did not appear on the domestic laserdisc. These did appear on the Japanese laserdisc set though, so if you have region free ability, you should seek it out.

All and all... these are a must buy for any Disney fan... Word has it.. when they're gone... they ARE gone....

Dugger

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
On Saturday, I received my copy of Mickey, Silly and Davy. I did not order the Disneyland set. Can someone explain the contents of that set? Is it history of Disneyland like played on TV from time to time?

By the way, these are tins done right, in my opinion.

Brian O

Second Unit
I went on my DVD buying spree last night visiting Costco, Sams Club, and then Best Buy. I hadnt planned on buying any but the Disneyland Tin a few weeks ago, but all the reviews sold me on the others. Also, I grew up in Disneyland's back yard, so that Tin really interested me for nostalgia sake.

Costco had all of the Disney Tins in nice quantities for $21.99. They were in a hard plastic shell too, which protects the Tins nicely. I recommend buying the Tins here due to the shell. Numbers ranged between 35000 and 75000. I bought all but Davy Crockett.

Sams Club had only Davy Crockett, Disneyland and one Mickey Mouse but for $20.99. Probably had about 12 left total on display. They were numbered from about 40000 to 75000. However, the packaging had no outside shell or cardboard wrap like the Warehouse stores usually do on DVD stock. Quite a few of the Tins were dinged up. I bought Davy Crockett and another Disneyland for the folks.

I didnt notice any at Best Buy, but I was looking for other DVDs at that point to use with the Preferred Customer coupon.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I will agree with everone else and say these tins are absolutley worth it.
Almost 3 1/2 hours of Mickey Cartoons.
5 hrs of Silly Symp. cartoons.
These cartoons look great and are very funny. I plan on devoting a day, to just watch these two tins. 8 1/2 hours of Disney cartoons:)
I'm almost tempted to pick up Disneyland tin now.
MY NUMBERS:
Mickey Mouse tin 62,570/150,000
Silly Symphonies tin 28,298/150,000

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks