What's new

Are the discs from Koreandvds legit? (1 Viewer)

Bruno Cesar

Auditioning
I'm new to the whole buying asian dvds thing, but I got really interested in some hong kong dvds with dts, and a couple of anime ones from koreandvds, but they're price are just too low, so I got worried
Are they legit region 3 discs?

DieterW

Agent
Yes, they sell legit releases. It just happens to be that CDs and DVDs are much cheaper in many Asian countries than they are in Europe or the US. It is also one of the reasons CD-WOW can sell their products at a very competitive price (they are HK-based).

Runar_R

Second Unit
Well, my experience is that they are legit. They do not KNOWIGLY sell bootlegs. However, not all the korean distributors are playing 100% straight, so there have been instances where bootlegs have been found on koreandvds.com.....

Which titles are you worried about? We might have discussed them earlier

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I have about 30+ dvd's from koreandvd.com and have never received a boot from them....I find it hard to believe someone has gotten one too.

Daniel Windsor

Stunt Coordinator
Are the discs from Koreandvds legit?

Not always.

They have stocked DVDs that are stolen from Criterion transfers (as confirmed from technical tests, logos and Criterion themselves).

Are KoreanDVDs.com legit?

Yes, I believe so.

Daniel Windsor

Stunt Coordinator
...and of course plenty US stores supplied stolen material too from Pacific Family Entetainment with their pirate release of Peckinpah's Convoy (which is owned by MGM in the USA).

Those Korean DVDs are direct ports though. I'm not sure where Pacific got their video files (looks like an old VHS tape from what I saw) from.

Dave Danek

Stunt Coordinator
I like the folks at koreandvds.com and value their service. However, there have been a few items that I received that were of questionable legitimacy, in particular a Korean release of "East of Eden" which looks like an LD port. Who knows, maybe that title is in the "public domain" in Korea. In any event, it cost me less than $5 so no big deal. The titles they sell from major labels certainly appear legit despite the low prices.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I have ordered from koreandvds twice and never had a problem with a release. Whenever I order a title from an international source, I try to find as much about it on the internet as possible to make sure its worth buying. If I find a title at a international dealer that I cant find any info on the internet about, or its a title I never knew existed, its probably too good to be true and I skip it.

I just recently received an order from koreandvds of the R3 Equilibrium dts edition, and two R3 Superbits, Gattaca and Das Boot.

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody know what happened to "The Red Shoes"? Koreandvds seem to have sold out the Spectrum Masterpiece Collection (the one with the Criterion supplements) and instead has stock of a barebones release from another distributor.

It might be a good deal to snap up the Spectrum Masterpiece Collection of "The Red Shoes".

Runar_R

Second Unit
jason,

dvdheaven.com has got the 'Spectrum Masterpiece' version of Red Shoes in stock. $14.7.

I've ordered from them before, and had no problems

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
I personaly have found official Korean DVD's to be far superior to Chinese DVD's of the same title as far as packaging, picture, and sound quality in most cases.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

I think that theres examples in any region where they have a couple titles that are the best of any region. As for Korean DVDs there seem to be a decent amount of good ones though.

I personally have the 4 disc Dances with Wolves disc from Korea that comes in the leather pouch with the character cards. Very nice setup.

I also just picked up the Korean Equilibrium. It only offers a DTS track over the R1 version and better packaging, but this was such a great film, anything better is good in my book.

I would like to pick up the R2 Swedish version of Boondock Saints, but I am having a hard time finding a place that can ship it to me and will do it for a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks