Are taxi cabs & taxi cab drivers above the law?!?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Moe Maishlish, May 18, 2004.

1. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Are taxi's and taxi drivers given special consideration on the road?

I've lost count of the number of times I've been cut off by a cab, or a cab doesn't signal, or a cab pulls some bonehead move to go pick up a fare on the opposite side of the road. This past weekend, I was driving home from downtown toronto, when a cab two cars in front of me did a U turn in heavy traffic to go pick up a couple of people waiting on the opposite street corner. A few of the cars had to slam on their brakes to avoid the idiot. And who hasn't been subjected to being halted in the middle of traffic as a cab stops to pick up or drop off a fare in the middle of the road. This kind of behaviour is illegal for you & me - if I drove this way, I'd have had my license revoked years ago! The sad part is how often this seems to happen, and the fact that I never seem to see any of them being stopped or ticketed by the police!

It's just as bad when I take a cab... sometimes I'm afraid for my life with the way the guy is driving. They'll be on the phone & weaving in and out of traffic while everyone around them is trying to avoid the terror on the road.

So what's the deal? Are cabs above the law?

Moe.

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Yes.

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

In NYC, yes. But thats just because no police cruiser could keep up with them in traffic. [​IMG]

4. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

Just my luck. I was running late for work last week, got in a cab, and the cab driver refused to do a u turn.
    Oh well, it turned out better in the end, he lost the fare, I got a bit of exercise.

5. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

like Garrett said ... in NYC yes ... you have not seen taxi madness until you've been in Manhattan.

but when you are a passanger in one and need to get somewhere fast .. they are a Godsend [​IMG]

6. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I've been hit twice by cabs in NYC when I lived there. The first time I was using the crosswalk and had the right of way and a cab turned and hit me with his front bumper. It was just a bump thought but was followed by a bunch of cussing. The second time I was on rollerblades in the bike lane going down Broadway and a cab turned right infront of me and I rolled over the trunk leaving a very good sized dent in the side and top. Again followed by a bunch of cussing and that included about 6 or so bystanders joining in on the fight.

NYC cabbies are crazy, all there is too it....and above the law. So you just gotta dent em when you can. [​IMG]

7. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Two words I have for anyone who thinks that NYC is the be-all and end-all of crazy cab drivers. They're all Ralph Naders compared to:

Rome

and

Istanbul

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I hear Cairo, Egypt taxi companies only hire crack addicts with less than three months to live [​IMG]

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The two most frightening car rides in my life were in taxi cabs in Boston and Toronto. I cannot believe that we didn't get into an accident either time.

In Detroit, we do not believe in any form of public transportation (I think there's some kind of law because of the auto companies [​IMG] ), so we do not get to experience the maniac cab drivers much around here.

10. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

The addition of steep hills and cable cars make a San Francisco taxi ride an especially unique event.

And will someone tell me why they insist on hearing my life story??? Im just trying to get back to my hotel!

11. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Driving is pretty tame around here in Des Moines--something I am still getting used to after spending my entire life in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. I have only had two taxi rides in Des Moines to and from the airport and they were uneventful.

I have had taxi rides in DC that range from weaving, running lights and illegal turns to good, but slow, textbook driving. In DC, there are signs that say "No left turn except for buses and taxis." This is annoying because that may be the best way to get where you want to go.

I can't recall ever seeing a taxi driver on the side of the road getting a ticket.

12. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

The question remains though...

Has anyone EVER seen a taxi getting pulled over by a police officer for a traffic offense?

Moe.

13. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron

YES!!!

This was in Orleans, a suburb of Ottawa, Ontario Canada. My sister and I were returning home from a night's bingo and saw a cab driver do a ridiculous move.

This was at a very big intersection where there are two left turning lanes instead of one. The cab well ahead of us was in the leftmost lane when he decided that he wanted to continue on straight ahead.

At breakneck speed, he crosses the solid lines of both left turn lanes, then crosses three more lanes while still in the intersection in order to get to the rightmost lane.

All this in plain sight of a police car. [​IMG]

It's a good thing this happened late at night when no one was around. This nut could have caused one hell of an accident. The cop made sure he'd think about that move for a long time. [​IMG]

14. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

I take it you have never seen taxicab confessions on HBO? Next time look around for the cameras when the driver gets a bit too chatty......

Public transportation is pretty much non-existent around here. But when I lived in Korea taxis were the only way to get around for those of us on a tour and not allowed to ship our own cars over. Never have I been so scared then after a night of heading home from the bar at midnight while riding in a Korean cab. These guys come up to a stop light and don't bother to even tap the brakes. They simply turn off their headlights and if they don't see any other lights on the road, proceed right on through the intersection, no slow downs required.

15. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

Yes, Taxi Drivers think they are above the law.

I went to Mexico for a school program in high school and the taxi I took from the place we were staying to the airport and from the airport to the place were the two most frightening rides of my life. Even more than going up a steep mountain in a 40 year old bus whose right tires are 2 feet from a 2000 foot drop!

The drivers didn't know the meaning of slow down. Instead it was wait till the last minute and slam on the brakes. I thought for sure we were going to get in accidents left and right.