What's new

Are SVS subs THAT good? (1 Viewer)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Thats a good point, maybe thats why my first choice is my good old American garage.;) I guess thinking about it..the dinning room is pretty close to home also. It keeps the wife from inviting company over to often.

Colin Runner

Agent
Real Name
Colin R.
I'm looking for a great sub that will last me well into college and beyond. I'm looking at the SVS cylinders and like what I'm seeing. The thing is that I don't know how much I need to spend to fill my 18 x 18 x 8 room that has an open ceiling that peaks at 18 feet.

Money is the biggest issue, I want to spend the money to get the best value. Nothing over $800, I'm poor ;)

I sent an email to Tom, but how do the rest of you guys think I should tackle this? I need it for stereo now, but for HT later...

If anyone here is into Google SketchUp you can mess around with my perfectly scale model here: Living Room Pro

1st Post ! ;)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

Because of that ceiling, I'd go with the 25-31 PC+....Unless you can swing the additional $99, then the PB12-NSD/2 would be even better :)

Of course, if Tom or Ron suggest something different, take their advice instead :)

Colin Runner

Agent
Real Name
Colin R.
I've already dealt with a big black box (albeit a Logitech one :crazy: ) that really doesn't seem very cool. I'm not able to afford any nice finishes, so the best option for me is to get a cylinder. There is the issue of having a huge black tube in a lightly colored room, but I think that it is worth the price. I big black box would be easier to hide, but it wouldn't be a conversation piece. I'm hoping to get a solid sub that will out-perform anyone else's, since lots of my friend have those HTIB solutions and think they are all hardcore with a 8" woofer. :laugh:

They walk in: "Hmm... not bad. I like the pict- what is that?!"
Me: "A subwoofer."
Them: "Holy cow, why is it circular?
Me: "So it can do this!" *cranks the system and knocks pictures off of the neighbor's wall*
Them:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

... or something like that ;)

BrianTwig

Second Unit

If you can afford it, buck up to the PB12-NSD/2. And if you think that won't be a conversation piece, just wait till it arrives!

Here is a pic of mine in its shipping box with my 2 1/2 year old sitting on it.

Trust me. It will start conversations. Especially after you cave in a few heads with it.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I agree, Brian. I had a PB12-ISD/2 and that thing kicked some serious rear in not just a very open ROOM, but a very open FLOORPLAN. I'm sure that with the new drivers it's even more potent.

Colin Runner

Agent
Real Name
Colin R.
Oh I don't doubt for a second that the boxes can't turn heads, I'm just saying that most people don't see cylinders every day. ;)

Here is what I'm looking at now, the 20-39 PCi

(I love how it looks so small in the picture)

This reportedly has an average in-room response around 16Hz, which is way low enough for me. The advantages that I see that cylinders hold for me are:

A) They offer the best bang for my budget, ~$600

B) I like their looks, and they seem like they have nice fabric.

C) Shipping is $34 for a cylinder, vs $55-$100 for a box

The one problem I see is that SVS hasn't updated the line in a while (or have they?)

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator
I have the PB12-Plus/2 sub. I am totally stunned how awesome the bass is! I laugh when I see other people spending two to three thousand dollars or more for other brand subs. I just ordered the 12.3 driver upgrade. This being my first subwoofer, I never had a clue how awesome it would sound!

Anyone who is thinking about buying an SVS sub, buy the best one you can afford. You will not regret it! You will love seeing the reaction on friends faces when they first hear this sub.

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator

You may try to consider the 20-39 Plus with the new drivers in it, if your budget does allow for it. And you want to add another one later on. ;)

Also, the "black sock" finish of the cylinders could be exchanged against a lighter color, which is not that prominent in your room. That option is not offered from SVS, but I've seen people doing it with good success.

Rob Leland

Auditioning
I've been perusing these boards for years silently, but no more. Having recently purchased an SVS PC Ultra, I can say that it was, and could be the best thing I've ever purchased sonicly for my home theater in years.

I've spent my time, recently, going through my old laserdiscs, and DVDs for anything to rumble the house. Heck, sometimes, I plop in my Avia disc, and do the subwoofer test, just to listen in awe. It's that good.

I only wish the Avia disc ran down to 12hz. ;)

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I bought my 4th SVS in March of this year a PB12-ISD2 just before they announced the NSD drivers. . . I got on the waiting list for the upgrade to the NSD drivers but because of a death in the family I had to drop the plans to upgrade for now.

Since I have had to 'live with what I bought' I have come to love the old ISD monster. . . My wife asked me just before I bought this sub to check around as there must be other choices. . . I told her then that in my mind there were no other choices that it is SVS or nothing. . .

This is from a sub user since the 70s. I used sub woofers before subs were 'cool'. I started with huge JBL B380 (15in)and 460 (18in) driven by bridged Adcom 555s through most powered subs including Definitive, Klipsch, M&K, Parasound, Paradigm among others as they started hitting the market. . .

My affair with SVS started in 02 when I first moved to Ohio. This forum peaked my interest and at the time I was using 2 DIY subs using 4 very expensive 12in DynAudio drivers that cost me around 400 each. I found a buyer and needed a sub so since I had amps running out my ears I bought a 2039 passive cylinder hooked it to an old Audio Centron Pro amp with about a million watts and never looked back. . .

From that 2039 I went to a PB12+2 that I sold like an idiot. . .Next came the PB10 for temp duty that amazed me. . .Until today and the PB12ISD2. . .

Maybe I'll upgrade it to NSD status before its birthday I don't know. . .I do know that once you do go SVS you wont go back but if you do it will be temporary. . .SVS is in your future.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
I have already posted a couple comments on this thread about my PB12-NSD/2 and how much I love it. But since this thread had made it back to the top of the list I thought I would throw in another.

I had my 33rd birthday party two weeks ago and with a newborn in the house it was a very limited party and greatly toned down from what I usually do. But after most of the adults had left there were still a few of us there and a few young children (2-4 yrs old) still at the house. I had gotten some Metallica DVDs for my birthday to replace my VHS versions. One of the ladies still at the party said to me, "I love One. Can you play One for me?" So I popped in Cunning Stunts on the DVD and turned it up. The explosions at the beginning of One were incredible, and actually caused this women's 3.5 year old daughter to run in fear and cry!!!

THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

SVS: Will make children cry!

Th8ter

Grip
Real Name
Tommy
Go buy the SVS sub under their guarantee, get it set up, watch the airplane crash scene from Flight of the Phoenix and then let me know.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor

I love my cylinder. I bought second hand, 20-39PC with the upgraded driver years ago from another basshead here. SN #0001, the first one off the production line. Forgot how many enjoyable years I've gotten out of it. Still going strong. I have no urges to upgrade unless I move to a bigger house.

The fabric has a nice velvety feel, but be careful with pets, it does collect pet hair.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Ok, I've been a videophile for most of my life and am now catching up on the audio side. I've been thinking about preordering that new PB12-NSD that comes out in september. Are there advantages for it being front firing? Here's my setup. All paradigm cc570, studio 60's, 4 of the adp470's for rear and side surrounds. The sub is a paradigm ps1000 10" sub I got back in 2000 which I would imagine isn't enough now, correct? The prepro is the outlaw 990 with the 7125 7 channel amp.

It's a decent size livingroom with vaulted ceilings that opens to the dining room and it doesn't seem to do it for me anymore. Back when I was into car audio people would say "if you want tighter bass stay with a 10" sub as the bass will get mushy with a 12" or 15" sub. Has that changed? Will I get deep bass AND tight bass when needed? I want accurate bass and for it to totally compliment the great paradigms as well in the low and midrange bass sections.

Any advice would be great and thanks in advance!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hasn't changed at all. It was incorrect then and it's still an incorrect statement. A quality 12" or 15" sub in the properly designed enclosure will sound great and move much more air than a 10". Read this - Woofer Speed

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks