Are SVS subs good for music also ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Jul 28, 2001.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Are SVS subs good for music also ?

2. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    So far, after 22 hours, yep!
    Did some CD's and DirectTV and FM and they all sound great thus far. Will ty some DTS 5.1 CD's real soon and will post.
    ------------------
    -Mark
    **** Digital Vortex ****
    The Digital Electronic Site
    www.digitalvortex.com

3. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Anthony,
    We think so, and I expect some owners here to speak their mind.
    Scroll thru our reviews page for quite a few opinions of folks, pros and laymen alike.
    Some people mistakenly think that one sub can't "do it all". We think that's dead wrong. Start with a balanced, high capacity design and the comments you see here are the result.
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/reviews.htm
    My two cents FWIW.
    Ron

4. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

Yes, quite good w/music. Effortless is the word that comes to mind. . .
    ------------------
    "Remember Sammy Jenkins"

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Any well designed subwoofer that is calibrated properly will sound good with music. Yes the SVS are very well designed. One thing that can make subs sound poor is a room peak. If you are unfortunate enough to have a room peak, move the sub or get a parametric equalizer.

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Having worked with the 16-46s and (for a week or two) an Ultra.
    They're very tight, well controlled subwoofers.
    I think that's the key -- take for example a bass line -- if your bass driver isn't well damped/controlled it will sound flabby and indistinct. The attack/decay is all wrong, and you lose that definition of plucked notes.
    Same thing with a kick drum. The leading edge that gives it the bite to cut through whatever else is going on is obliterated.
    The original series (CS and PC) are outstanding subs, and very high value.
    The Ultra subwoofers improve over the originals, and compete favorably with subs 2-3x (and more) their cost.
    Because the cost is about double, it's only high value [​IMG]
    I wouldn't (and don't) hesitate to recommend them for consideration in just about any system.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

7. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Having now lived with a pair of SVS 25-31s almost from the beginning, going through a custom port change, and recently having had the drivers upgraded to Ultras, I can say without hesitation that I consider the SVS line actually better on music material than on film soundtrack material when compared to just about any other commercial subs I have heard.
    No bullshit, these are great subs.

8. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

In a word, YES!
    About two months ago, I received my SVS 16-46PC, a sub that I had intended to use mostly as an LFE sub. At the time, I had a Rava from Adire Audio, which has been highly acclaimed from many such as myself for its tremendously tight, well-controlled bass--a characteristic essential for accurate music reproduction. Before getting the SVS, I had intended to keep the Rava as a music sub and connect it into my mains which I would then set to LARGE on my receiver. I would then hook the SVS to my Sub Pre-out on my receiver and only feed it LFE information.
    However, in the e-mails I shared with Ron Stimpson and Tom Vodhanel at SVS, they assured me that this set up would be completely unnecessary. They said that the 16-46PC was in fact not only a great music sub, but in fact their best subwoofer for music. (I suspect that this fact is no longer true with the release of the CS Ultras. Oh well, it was fun having their best for a little while!) I listened to their claims not exactly knowing if I should believe them at all. I mean, these are the guys who build these subs; of course they're going to talk them up! I doubted very much that the SVS could be as good a music sub as the Rava. After all, it's just a big tube thing, right?
    Well, it turns out that they were right. This big ol' tube sounded pretty damned good. The bass was every bit as tight as the Rava's--no sloppiness here. In the first week I only used the SVS and put it through just about every test I could imagine. Then I switched back to the Rava to see if I noticed a difference. I was shocked to say the least. The SVS actually performed better than the Rava when it came to music! Overall, I found that the bottom end of the sound spectrum sounded much fuller and more complete with the SVS. Some tracks even surprised me with the bass that was to be found with the SVS. When I cranked Don Henley's song "Dirty Laundry" for instance I felt more bass than I ever did before. In fact, the experience reminded me of the concert I attended back in March. I remember that when they played that particular song, that I could feel it in my seat. With the SVS, I felt it once again, but this time it was on my couch in the comfort of my own home.
    Ultimately, I sold the Rava, and as of this moment, the only subwoofer I use is my 16-46PC.
    I should probably end by saying that I'm not trying to diss the Rava or anything. I still highly recommend it to any one who's interested in buying a complete subwoofer package (amp and all) in the $400 price range. Since it costs half as much as my SVS would new, I don't think it's really fair to compare these two subs. Just know that if you pay more for the SVS, you'll surely get more.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    Live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Area? Wanna meet local HTF members? Click Here!
    [Edited last by Jeffrey Forner on July 29, 2001 at 04:12 AM]

9. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Anthony:
    I think that this is one of the areas that these subs really shine in. Give it some really heavy bass music and they will thump your chest. Give it some music that isn't so heavy in the bass area and it will give you a really nice fill in for the low end. In other words what you put into it musically is what you get out of them.
    If you have ever been part of a band and listened to what a good bass player can bring to a song then you know what you can expect from one of these subs.
    Parker

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The SVs won't just work well on music...they should EXCEL on all types of musical source material(within the operating bandwidth of the unit....you don't want to play pipe organ music through a 25-31 for example)
    All the SVs are designed with system *Q* in the 0.5 to 0.57 range...pretty much critically damped by any standards. Sure we could have offer a tad more HT "boom" if we wanted to sacrifice the tuneful/musical nature...but we wouldn't make this trade. Our objective performance has been documented by Tom Nousaine. Our subjective performance has been lauded in hundreds of on line testimonials. When you see names like John Kotches,Obi,Mike Knapp,Peter Staddon,RAF,Parker, and many others praising the SVs for their musical nature...it might surprise some...but not anyone at SVS. I've long held the stance that a subwoofer SHOULD excel for both the biggest HT effects, AND the most demanding musical material you can throw at it.
    If it doesn't...it doesn't have a SVS logo on it...
    TV

11. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Tom, well, the reason I got the 16-46 was because of the Pipe Organ music. It is fun to listen to the fugue every now and then. Kinda blasts the roof off [​IMG]
    As for music - Tyson said it, it is effortless. They will fit in, and seamlessly. Room peaks may need to be controlled, but that would be true with any other sub also.
    They blend seamlessly with my NHTs - which are known for accuracy.
    Mike

12. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

You gotta hear the kick drums on Bon Jovi's acoustical version of "Liv'in On A Prayer"..."Cross Road's" CD. My 20-39PC really rocks with a B&K 307.
    - Chip
    ------------------