1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Are summer hiatus' getting longer??

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by todd s, May 12, 2006.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I could swear when I was a kid. That the tv season ended at the beginning of June and started mid to end of Sept. Now seasons are ending mid-May and starting in October. I know they have cut back amounts of episodes being produced. But, with so many shows ending with cliff-hangers. I think having to wait almost 5 months is nuts. [​IMG]

Nothing is worse than Galactica...Which ended in April and won't be back until in October.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Probably. The 22-episode season with more serialized storylines and twelve episodes earmarked for sweeps almost necessitates a more compact season.

3. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

Yeah I think Jason sums it up pretty well, seasons are getting shorter, 26 episodes is basically unheard of now. And there is more of emphasis on holding the programming until sweeps, which of course defeats the idea of a representative ratings sample (to me anyway).

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, so long as everybody is holding their programs for sweeps, it's representative. If sweeps were randomly and secretly conducted and only Fox was running original programming, that would give pretty skewed numbers in terms of representing the season as a whole.

5. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I think the networks are getting savvier and are now programming for summer, fall & winter. Summer's not the wasteland it used to be, with most of the networks starting their summer series the first week of June. Granted they don't have a full slate of programs, but at least it's something.

6. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

I was curious about this question.

Cheers' series finale was May 20, 1993 which would be this week and debuted September 30, 1982. At first glance it would appear th TV season back then was about the same length.

I was also interested in MASH. In its later years it debuted in November and was done in late April/Early May.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Anybody here remember when the main commercial networks had seasons in excess of thirty episodes? I sure do. Things change.

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yep, just pick up most any DVD season set of a classic TV show and there are usually 30 or more episodes. Now we're lucky to get 22.

9. Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey Screenwriter

Chuck Anstey
    I remember seeing something about Gilligan's Island that they reached 100 episodes in just the 3 seasons they were on the air. ST:TOS got 79 episodes in their 3 seasons. I noticed how much things had changed when I saw an ET blurb that ST:TNG was having their 100th episode party and it was well into their 5th season back in the early 90s. The 22 episode season seems here to stay. Hopefully it won't go any lower like the 6 episode BBC season for some series.

10. SteveJKo

SteveJKo Second Unit

Exactly. I remember as a kid that I would pray that my favorite episode of a series would manage to get rerun during the summer, there just weren't enough weeks to run even half the series from the middle of July to the middle of September. Now they stretch the season by giving us reruns only a few weeks after the new season starts.

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Doing a quick episode rundown, the seasons ranged from 22 episodes - 26 episodes.

Very strange. I wonder where the number comes from? Does it get negotiated before the season starts? or do they make it up as they go along?

12. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter

Or the 13-episode cable season, like the FX shows. [​IMG]

13. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

It is decided up front. Then sometimes the network changes its mind, usually cutting the order.

What I don't get now is that they're showing repeats of Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars tonight, since they both ended last week. Who's the idiot that scheduled repeats during sweeps? Or do they just not care, since they're not really a network anymore? (And bringing back 7th Heaven, no less.)

14. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

well, remember that in the 70's and early 80's, a season ending in March wasn't such a radical idea, now Feb/March finales only come to shows that are getting really low ratings