What's new

Are subwoofers dangerous to babies ? (1 Viewer)

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
My subwoofers are my babies. The question I am always asking is, are those babies dangerous to my subs?

JerryW

Supporting Actor
No, but if your wife is still having morning sickness she might throw up... subs have been known to cause nausea.
REALLY. No joke.
smile.gif

------------------
September 11, 2001
"Those who died will always be remembered.
Those who killed will never be forgotten.
We who remain will not let it happen again."

Nick P

Second Unit
I don't know about being dangerous but your baby can hear while still inside your wife and can become frightened by loud noises. Congratulations by the way!
------------------

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
When the baby is in the womb, they can hear everything going on around you. The subwoofer frequencies will travel right into your wife's belly, and the baby will definitely feel and hear it. When my wife was pregnant, and we watched a movie loudly, the baby would kick and go crazy when an explosion or something loud happened. I would try to keep it at a reasonable volume. Babies have tiny, tiny eardrums, and the air moving from a sub can really destroy them. Why take the chance - you can get a sub, just turn it way down, or don't play it loud when the baby (or your wife) is around.
I wouldn't want to take away the joy my son could have of audio later on in life, because I damaged his little eardrums so I could play my theater loud. I haven't been able to crank my theater for a while now, but in due time I will be able to again! The doctor told us as long as it was a comfortable volume for us, then the baby would be fine, but if it feels loud to you, then it is probably too loud for the baby.
Bryan

Yong Kiat

Auditioning
Thanks for all the feedback.
After hearing stories about picture frames shaking off the wall, dogs running away for cover etc, I was also concerned about possible effects to young babies. In particulars unborn babies surrounded by fluids might actually pick up low frequencies better than us.
I guess it is a case of keeping everything at a sane level.
Cheers !

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
On the plus side, babies will learn to accept, even like, sounds while they are in the womb. Thus if you start it on good theater sound now, it will always insist on it. :) Seriously, a friend of mine had an annoying dog that barked a lot. A week or so after the baby was born, I visited them. I was holding the baby when the dog came up to me and went ballistic (we had a mutual hatred for each other). The baby didn't move at all, it slept peacefully the whole time, with a dog barking no more than a foot or two from its head.
Now I'm not condoning subjecting the baby to loud noise, but if it gets used to the home theater now, it might well sleep through your movie watching at normal sound levels after its born.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Last I heard he was fine. Seriously, the dog barked a lot, and by the time he was born he was completely used to it.
I've heard similar stories, in particular I've heard of babies who like certain soap opera themes because they were so used to those from when they were in the womb. Its also why the mother's voice is something they instantly pick up on.

if i were you, i wouldn't take the risk.
however, i think the sound that reaches the baby in the womb is pretty much muted compared to what the mother hears. remember how sound becomes much muted when we're under the pool. probably the air-water interface deadens the sound. so i guess the baby who's surrounded by fluid inside the womb is pretty much safe.
again, a baby's eardrums is too precious to risk damaging.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If anything, your baby will become a lover of home theatre and develop an ear for great sound at an early age.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks