Are stores allowed to play DVD's before their street date?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Leopold, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I know the studios frown strongly on stores breaking street date on DVD sales, but what about playing the DVD on their public sets prior to the street date? The reason I ask is that I was at two different stores yesterday that were playing LOTR on the sets set up throughout the store. While I saw nearly every other DVD coming out this week for sale (Clash of the Titans & The Wrath of Kahn were the only two that interested me, but at 19.99-24.99, I wasn't interested), I didn't see any copies of LOTR for sale, but I could have watched the entire movie if I chose to stick around the stores long enough.

2. Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez Stunt Coordinator

This is a pretty good question. I don't have an official answer, but I would think it would be okay to play it early, just not sell it early.

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

at my local videostore, they have been renting Lord of the Rings since yesterday, but cannot buy it. Go figure out this one.
    [​IMG]

4. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I've always wondered about stores playing movies, too, but my wonderment was at a different aspect of the situation. We've all seen the warnings that the movie is intended for private home audiences only and is not to have any public viewing, etc. At first I thought the stores probably got special discs to play that were licensed for the public viewing. But sometimes you see them start one, and the message is still there. Then I worked at CompUSA for a while, and thought maybe they got special permission to play the discs like that...until I heard the general manager tell one of the sales guys to just pick a movie off the sales display and start playing it.

5. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

I was at Walmart and they had the full LotR disc playing, but up on the screen in front of it was a message saying when it was going to be for sale etc.

So, I'm sure it's okay and that stores get copies for this purpose specifically.

Chris.