What's new

Are speakers about to be out-done? Interesting Article on HyperSonic Sound (1 Viewer)

Miles

Second Unit
For of all, sorry if this has already been posted.

If this is all real... this could be an interesting change in the way we hear everything... commercials, movies, etc.

Times Aritcle

Miles

Randy G

Second Unit
Last time I read about this, I fell off my pet dinosaur. This was all the "hype" five years ago. For many technical reasons, I don't think it'll ever make it for audiophile sound. For store advertising, automobiles and announcements, it'll be cool, but for home audio, I doubt it will make the cut. Do a google search on "hypersonic sound", "American Technology Corporation", or "Elwood Norris" and you'll see lots of info. It would seem that Norris starts a new company every time he comes up with a new invention.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
There's definitely something wrong with the article: no explanation of the technology whatsoever. And it goes on and on. Even the picture with Norris behind a tree looks almost laughable (unsuspecting bystander oesn't see Norris or the photographer). Is the NYT always that superficial?

Are there other sources you know of?

Cees

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
I think this might be possible at single frequencies and possibly harmonics, but not with the full range of sound 20Hz-20kHz. In order to create this 'laser-like' phenomenon, the sound must first be created coherently, similar to an optical laser. The only way it could be created coherently is if the wavelengths of the summed sound are all the same, just like an optical laser. I've never seen a laser that has more than one wavelength. Now if someone wants to jump in here and correct me please do. I'm not sure my analogy is reasonable, since sound waves are longitudinal, and electromagnetic waves are transverse. But then again...maybe it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks