Are Sony Wega TV's reliable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I am thinking of getting a 32" KV-32FV27 or 36" KV-36FV17/13. I have read so many Wega owners saying that their TV's have lines moving up and down or that they have colored blurrs in the corners of her TV's . These TV's weigh 176-223lbs so if I get an odd unit, I don't want to have to return it or hassle, neither do I want to put down $1300-1500 to get a deffective product. I really like the picture of the Wega's, but if they aren't reliable, I will be willing to buy what is more reliable for that amt of cash.

2. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

Most people get great sets. A few, like me, get lemons. Try to buy it from a specialty shop instead of a big chain like Best Buy or Circuit City. You'll get a better price, and if you have problems with it you'll get much better service. I'd bet they also take better care of the sets when they stock them, as opposed to the kids who work at the big chains who probably toss the boxes around. It took me a year and a half of service calls and repairs before Best Buy finally agreed to replace my TV too.

Those who get good Wegas rave about the image quality. If I ignore the geometry problems and waviness present on my set, the picture is damn near perfect. Vibrant, accurate colors. DVDs and LDs look amazing, as does my digital cable.

3. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Im one of the lucky few who got a good set from Best Buy. I shouldnt say its perfect, there is a SLIGHT picture anomaly on the left side of the screen where when you see something panning across the screen, it appears to go off the left side of the screen a little quicker, but its barely noticable, and you can only notice it on pans. Ive heard simimlar things from other people who have flat screen displays, so its probably just a nature of the beast, but Ive had my 32FS13 since September with no problems. I got the in home warranty though in case I do have problems.
    I highly recommend getting those upgrade....errrr, I mean extended replacement plans, because when youre close to the end of your warranty, if your TV *ahem* accidently gets a violent power surge *ahem*, then the place you bought it from will have to give you credit towards a new model, and hopefully Digital TVs will be in the price range of what I paid for this thing! [​IMG] This also works for things like computers, stereos, speakers, and just about anything you can buy a warranty for! [​IMG]

4. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

I upgraded to the 36FS13 about 2 months ago, from a 10 yr old Trinitron. I couldn't be happier with my new set. I haven't experenced any real problems. I did turn off Red Push and did minor adjustments using Avia. I love the 16:9 enhancement mode when viewing "Enhanced DVD's".

Randy T

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

My 32FV26 is performing beautifully, and should serve me well for the next few months, after which it is headed for bedroom duty.

No problems so far.

If you can find a really good price, get the FV27. But only if you get a good deal--ATSC-based sets are coming down fast in price, and spending too much money on an NTSC-only WEGA will be hard to justify much longer.

In fact, I'd suggest looking at some of the less-expensive ATSC sets first. (A few months after getting my KV-32FV26, I was saddened to find a terrific deal on a Toshiba 40H81 RPTV--less than I paid for the WEGA.)

6. jack pollard

jack pollard Auditioning

I have the FS17 and love it. I can't get over the crispness of the picture. I did the red push thing and also used the Avia dvd, very minor adjustments. I think it's like this, I also ride a Yamaha FZ1 motorcycle and am a member of that forum, and I see all these people spending $1,000's to get 5 more horse's out of there engine, the thing can go up to 180mph for heavens sake! I think there is ALWAY's a tweak to get that last umphhh out of any mechnicial/electricial item, but hey, just enjoy the beauty of the thing out of the box and then when you get bored, tweak away!

My .02's worth.

7. Darren_Falco

Darren_Falco Auditioning

I have a 32FV26 and haven't had any problems. When I got mine I did a lot of research and heard that a few others had picture prob's. I may be talking out of my backside, but if I remember correctly some of them had said it was due to a bad board because of the set being tilted front or backwards. I guess that the weight of the tube would bend the board and break it. I was just very careful to keep the base level when I moved it into my house.

My bro-in-law has a smaller 24" Wega and every so often the S-Video jack fails. He just unplugs the set and the video cable and it resets itself. ?????? He hasn't been able to figure out what happens.