What's new

Are Sony Speakers Good for HT? (1 Viewer)

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking into either the Sony SSM-F600H or JBL N38 for mains. I was able to demo the JBL's but not properly due to a poor setup. I liked the matching N-Center with those.
I see the newest Sony speaker is highly regarded by most on audioreview.com and was wondering if anybody owns these or has heard them and has feedback. What about a matching center with these? I see Sony has many options but is any better than the other with these speakers?
Anybody who can help? It will be greatly appreciated! :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
imho, i would not buy sony speakers...ever. they definitely are not known for their speakers. :)
what's your budget? are you looking for a full surround package?

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
the general rule of thumb is that you should buy speakers from manufacturers that only make speakers.
those JBLs are far superior to anything Sony offers. make sure you take everything at audioreview with a rather large grain of salt. :)
again, are you looking for a full 5.1 system or just the front 3? how much do you have to spend??

Chuck_C

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a new pair of the Sony SSM-F600H tower speakers for $150 and have been very happy with them. I know that they are not highly regarded around here but everyone who has experienced my setup has been more that satisfied. I’m pleased and that’s all that matters.

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
I went again to BB and demoed the two sets there and found the Sony speakers had too much bass. They might even outdo some subs! I also didn't like the centers Sony had to offer.

I really thought the JBL N38s had better sound all around. These wern't too "boomy" and the sound was clear and crisp. (Keep in mind I'm no audiophile- so I'm not looking to spend fortunes!) I especially like the JBL N Center. It is a great center, especially for the price I can get it from jandr.com.

JandR.com will sell me the JBL N38s and N Center for about $340 and I believe they will still honor their free shipping on JBL stuff so I think I will buy those.

Thanks for the replies!

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Are Sony Speakers Good for HT?"

IMO no. Like has been stated here already, stick with a company that makes speakers only...there's lots of good choices out there. JBL makes some really good budget speakers for HT... i had them in my first rig. I like Sony for things like my S9000ES dvd player and SCD-C555ES SACD changer but definately not speakers. With Sony, you gotta pick and choose carefully.. Personally, i would only buy ES products from Sony. Good luck.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Sony makes some very good speakers, we just don't see them in the United States. In Japan they sell a line of no-holds-barred horn loudspeakers and driver units of TAD like quality.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I am kind of a Klipsch nut,but for $350 I would get a pair of sb-1 and the matching sc-.5.I think that would be your best bet for ht use.Sounds like you like it clean and crisp...Klipsch does that very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks