What's new

Are Sony speakers any good? Recommendations please. (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Brian, Welcome to the Forum!!! :D
Are you looking to spend $1000 for 6 speakers, since the RXV630 does 6.1, minus the subwoofer or is that including a sub? Do you think you could live without a subwoofer for a while? Cuz with $1000 you could get a very good sounding setup, excluding the sub, and then save for a good sub. You will definitely be much happier in the long run.
BTW, I wouldn't spend the $1000 on the Sony setup, as it will not sound near as well as other alternatives of speakers you could get for $1000.
As of now, I don't have any recommendations, but I'm sure many others will chime in here with some!
Best of luck though!

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
id get the JBL nsp1 (5 speakers) for $250 from J&R's
then get a pair of n26 bookshelf speakers or n28 (140 and 200 respectively)
thats 400-450 for 6 speakers (and you have a backup surround :))
if you need to get a sub, then get the sony SAWM40 for 150 or so and you you are still way under budget.
hey, in fact, thats what i did/am doing (except i got the jbl pb10 sub)

BrianFS

Auditioning
Thanks for the help guys.

David, I don't quite understand what you're saying. If I get the JBL NSP1(5 speakers), why do I need additional bookshelf speakers?

I'm looking to spend $1000 for a good 5.1, 6.1 is not really important to me at this moment.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
it was if you wanted to go 6.1.

or if you just wanted slightly nicer speakers for music and such

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
check out the hometheaterdirect.com level 3 combo y 5.1 set. i've heard great thing about it and much of the same for HTD's customer service.

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
If you can stretch your budget by $200.00 you can get an entire set of Swan Divas. Bang for the buck, I honestly don't think there is anything that can touch these for sheer sound quality and good looks.
They are running a special right now at av123.com:
http://www.av123.com/popup.html

keir

Stunt Coordinator
Spend a few hours reading through forums posts about speaker recommendations in your price range. I doubt you would pick Sony for speakers after you did that. There are many brands that aren't as mainstream, but are much better than Sony, especially for speakers. Swan Divas, Axiom, Paradigm all make speakers from $200-300 a pair up to $2000+ per pair. these are going to sound better than any Sony.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Keir---Oh, I wouldn't say ANY Sony. They make some drivers and speakers for their home market of TAD-like quality.

BrianFS

Auditioning
Hey guys, I just went to Good Guys and told them I want to exchange(I bought my Sony speakers there) but they don't carry the speakers you guys recommended. Instead he recommended the Polkaudio RM6000...

So are they any good?

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Brian, is the SA-VE325 made up of 4 single drive satellites and one center that is essentially two satellites "glued" together? If so, I used it's ancestor, the SA-VE315, for a time, and yes, you can do much better than that if you spend a little more money. My Sonys were extremely lacking in the upper bass region (100-200Hz) and to my ears they sounded extremely tinny (I guess some would say "bright"). There was not a good match between the sub and satellites.
Paradigm, Energy, Cambridge Soundworks Newton series (when they have a sale!), JBL Northridge series, etc etc. There are a lot of choices in your price range for a 5.1 setup. Do some searches here (this forum has a wealth of experience and information) and do some research on the Internet. www.audioreview.com is a good site to read user reviews of products. I would not rush to trade in what you have at the store you bought it from. i.e. if you don't like the Sony package, simply return it and get a refund - don't be pressured into buying a replacement from the same store. A little patience and some research will be your best bet in the long run.
good luck,
--tom

Cave Canem

Auditioning
I have an all sony system (Toshiba DVD)and it sounds great. I spent around $700 on my complete system including surround, sub, fronts, CD changer, Reciever, blah blah. If you are on a budget, I would recommend Sony. Top of the line? no but pretty damn good for what you will end up paying.

If you have the thousands to spend on a HT setup then do it but if your on a budget like me, then I would go with Sony.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
My reccommendation is the Paradigm Monitor line. You can get a pair of Mini Monitors($300), CC-370 center ($300) and a pair ADP 170's ($400). Unfortunatly you are going to have to find an authorized Paradigm dealer to get them. Go to there website www.paradigm.com and find a dealer near you and go listen.

Heath_R

Stunt Coordinator
I would get an axiom setup. www.axiomaudio.com
Front - M3Ti
Center - VP100
Surrounds - M3Ti
$630ish shipped from www.audioshop.on.ca.
Then get a HSU VTF2 or save up and get a SVS 25 - 31PCi. That would put you a little over budget. You can learn more about these subs by doing searches on this site and going to www.svsubwoofers.com and www.hsuresearch.com.
If you have to hit your budget get a Rava from www.adireaudio.com. I belive it is $399 shipped.
This would make an exellent 5.1 setup with good bang for the buck. For the price this is a serious HT system.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys. I guess my Sony speakers are really crappy. :frowning:
I wouldn't say that. I looked at the SOny web site at those speakers and they look fine to me. I'll bet they sound very cool for movies and look nice, too. I have a pair of Sony floorstanding tower speakers in my bedroom that work wonderful. I got them at the outlet for a good price many years ago and they've held up great. If you've got $1K to spend, and you have $350 speakers, you're going to get a big increase in quality no matter what brand name is on the front! :)
BTW, David_Stein's suggestion would sound much better than whe you've got and cost a LOT less than $1000 with a nice sub (I highly recommend the Sony 40 something - son't know the model number).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks