1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Are some widescreen TV's better for DVDs than others?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Are there certain widescreen TVs that are better for viewing DVDs than others (within the same price range)? I ask because I hear some HDTVs are better for cable than others, etc.

I am around 1-2 years from buying a widescreen TV and viewing DVDs will be my number one priority, so I was just wondering.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

The best advice I can give is to get some of your reference DVDs and go compare. If you go to most places at a slow time, they will probably even allow you to set the picture settings to something more reasonable than the very bright settings normally seen in showroom floors.

Only you can decide.

But if your purchase is two years away, a lot of things will change by then.

So I’d just wait and see what was available when you care considering a purchase.

3. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I agree with Lew. If the purchase is two years away, think about it later. A lot might change in that time. Tosh might fix the problems with 540p or go back to 480. DLP RPTVs might be in the same price range as CRTs and might perform as well. Sony might even have fixed the flicker problem.

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Yeah, who knows what the landscape will be like a year or two from now?
    Right now, you'll get the sharpest DVD picture from a set that passes the 480p signal straight through without conversion. Toshiba and Hitachi "upconvert" a 480p signal to 540p, with some tiny loss of resolution on the few DVDs that have that level of sharpness to begin with. And would you notice it from a normal viewing distance? Probably not, unless you have the eyes of a hawk.
    And there are other factors than sharpness to consider, anyway. How's the color fidelity? Are you willing to spring for an ISF calibration to bring the picture up to snuff? How deep a set can your room handle?
    Offhand I can't think of any HD-RPTV that is straight out of the running. You'll find lots of satisfied owners from all the major brands.
    And it'll all be different a year from now. [​IMG]
    Jan

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    PLUS in 2 years, probably ALL the CRT-based TVs will use 540p upconversion because they're cheaper and easier to make and probably more reliable to boot!!! [​IMG]
    And then, Hitachi and Toshiba (and probably Pioneer as usual) will be ahead of the pack in that area unless Panasonic pulls another Faroudja--this time w/ their TVs--and stick their FLI2XXX chip in there to handle all the linedoubling and scaling and still charge less than everyone else!!! [​IMG]
    _Man_

6. Greg Conti

Greg Conti Stunt Coordinator

Worry about it in two years. Alot is going to change by then.

7. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I think I will take all of your advice. I was seriously considering upgrading my hdtv to one that upconverts 480p to 720p or 1080i. But after reading alot of different articles it just seems to make more of a mess than helps. Maybe that is why I have been thinking to myself wjen I walk into a home theater store that the picture on these new sets look like crap compared to the picture I get on my hdtv with normal 480p. One thing I want to upconvert though is the horrible jagged picture I get from Directv. Any suggestions?

8. Jim.Bennett

Jim.Bennett Extra

Hey Man-

I just thought of an interesting question. You replied to my question about the Tosh upconversion (and actually downconversion in the case of a 720p input signal) to 540p a few days back and this is along those same lines.

If my set top box can output at whatever res I ask it to, i.e 480, 720p, 1080i will I effectively be bypassing the Toshs upconversion all together if I use 1080i as the selection?

The set top box is a Samsung sir-t165. I know this box lets you input various signals 480/720/1080 and output as 1080i. Let say for example I am watching an OTA ABC program which is being broadcast in 720p, or a 480i DVD signal, or even a VHS tape. If I tell my set top box to output in 1080i, then will that not take the sets upconversion/downconversion out of the picture? Im not saying this would be any better or worse, I guess that would depend on the quality of the upconversion that the set top box does, but interesting to try nonetheless.

Jim

9. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Im with Jan-get a RPTV that doesnt mess with the 480p signal

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Ted, actually, Jan is saying the 540p upconversion issue matters very little for real world purposes, and he might be right. He's not saying that you should avoid TVs that force upconversion--he owns a Toshiba 42H81 and loves it. [​IMG]
    Jim, you're right about using your Samsung STB's upconversion vs a TV that forces upconversion. Have no idea about the quality of their upconversions.
    In fact, one of this forum's moderators, Patrick Sun, uses that exact STB to upconvert his DVD's 16x9 output to 1080i so he can view them in 16x9 mode on his new 4x3 RPTV. His TV can't do the 16x9 squeeze for 480i/p content.
    FWIW, there are plenty of HTPC folks who love to upconvert their DVDs to 540p for viewing in 1080i on their RPTVs or 720p or 768p on certain fixed-pixel displays that do those resolutions natively. If you want top notch upconversion, then HTPC's probably the way to go. But you do pay for it in terms of ergonomics, useability and reliability. It's basically for serious PC tweakers, not the average HT enthusiast.
    _Man_

11. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

He's not saying that you should avoid TVs that force upconversion--he owns a Toshiba 42H81 and loves it

Ive owned both(one that upconverts & now I have one that doesnt) & I prefer the "straight out of the player" 480p signal.