Are Sherwood receivers reliable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alexander_J, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Alexander_J

Alexander_J Auditioning

Hello,

I was looking at a new Sherwood receiver, the Sherwood RX-4103. Its specs are very tempting, compared to the fact that Onkyo's 8511, which offers nearly the same features, costs close to 4x(!) as much. The Sherwood only costs $79.99 @ Circuitcity.com, and i would appreciate if any owners or people who have had experience with it can tell me how it sounds, performs, etc. I just want a low cost 2-channel receiver which is of higher quality than the Sony, KLH, and Technics stuff i see for under $100.

P.S. If the Sherwood 4103 lives up to what it claims, it would be a great alternative for all those people rushing out to Best Buy to get those junk KLH receivers to power their SVSs.

2. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Stunt Coordinator

Yes the Sherwood receiver's are reliable.I have two of them,the Sherwood/Newcastle r945 and Sherwood 9090r which i got for a steal (less than 200 dollars).If you shop around you can find real deals,besides if you buy the one your talking about for 80 bucks and it dies sometime in the future,who cares it was only 80 bucks.

3. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I just bought a Sherwood RD-7106 reciever over at Ubid. I paid $129 for it. I don't know about long term reliability but this reciever really cranks. I have ordered the Acoustic Research HC2 speaker package but they are on some kind of chronic backorder. Because I could not wait any longer I dusted off some old Polk Audio S6 speakers. I happen to have 2 pairs so I hooked up 3 to the left Center and Right. I also have some old Polk Audio Monitor Series 2 speakers I used for the surrounds. The set up looks more clunky then I would like to see but at least I get to enjoy my new system while waiting for my HC2 setup to arrive. Since the Polk S6's are large speakers I configured the 3 fronts to be large without a subwoofer. The Monitor 2's I configured for small. I put in "Gladiator" and I could not believe how good the sound was. Even without a sub the base was very tight loud and deep. Even the highs were nice and crisp without any sort of distortion. It actually sounded better then my Home THX system. Its the first time I have ever heard a budget reciever with clean high's. Most sound really scratchy. I am sure when my HC2s arrive I will loose some of this sound. I am not totally sure but I believe the older Polk Speakers are 4 ohms. Even after playing Gladiator the amp was never more then warm. Overall I am impressed!!!

Chris