are satellite speakers have no bass w/o sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reza_A, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Reza_A

Reza_A Extra

Hi all..

Recently I just bought satellite speakers (Polk RM 7500). I bought sats and sub separately, received the satellites couple weeks ago and will get the sub probably in the next 2 week.

Last weekend, I finished setting up my sats with my receiver (Denon avr 2802). I used 12 gauge speaker wire, and AR pro series Toslink and S-video. Setting: Front-large, Center-small, Surround-small, subs:NO.

When I played music CD through my DVD player (Panasonic RV-31), it seems only a barely little bass come out from the front speakers even I setup them as "large". It also doesn't have that much bass either when I played DVD. But when in music mode, it is more noticeable since I played music with a lot of bass. All other high and mid range are nice and clear.

I don't have any experience before w/ satellite speakers before. Is it because they are satellite speakers and supposed not to have bass at all? I wonder because 6.5" mid woofer seems a good size to produce bass even satellite. Do I set my receiver wrong? Or is because my DVD player does not good in playing music?

by the way, I put front on speaker stand, CC on top of my TV, surrounds mounted on the side wall.

If somebody else has satellite speakers, could you please try to disconnect your sub, and hear if is there any bass come from the speaker?

Thanks

2. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i have paradigm cinema. they dont have bass at all. i dont have to unplug the subwoofer from my receiver to know that. your speakers are just fine, i am sure about it. add a subwoofer, and you will be very happy!

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    most satellite speakers are only good down to ~80-100 Hz. from there on down, you need a dedicated subwoofer to take over. the 6.5" woofers in your speakers are tuned to reproduce midrange frequencies, not anything below 80 Hz. you shouldn't expect your speakers to be able to perform past 100 Hz without distortion.

solution: get a subwoofer...the difference is night/day!

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    With your speakers set to small and no sub, you will not get much bass out of anything. If you set them all to large until the sub comes, you will get a LITTLE more bass, but not much. I would have to agree with the statement that they are not likely producing much below 80Hz.