Are Samsungs that bad?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sam Posten, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Been looking at some of the 30 & 34 inch widescreen sets that are out there from various manufacturers, some really nice looking, others look like junk. The biggest complaint I have is so many of these sets have huuuuuge gaps between the scan lines, I have no idea how people can deal with that.

What surprised me was how good some of the Samsungs are looking, when they first came out with their sets they looked really crappy to me, especially overly pixelized. And they were getting really terrible reviews at the time too. Now tho I've seen some really dynamite looking sets at BB and CC for well under $1k, but I dont know anything about the build quality or reliability etc.

Any good reviews or articles you have come across to convince me one way or the other would be great....

Sam

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Don't have any long-term ownership data, but these new Samsungs are attracting a fair amount of fans here at HTF. If you like what you see go for it. (Take a favorite disc along and try tweaking the picture in the showroom; don't be afraid to ask the sales staff if they could dim the lighting in the area where the Samsung is on display.)

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yeah, they sure look nice in the showroom and the price is right, but I just cant get over their 'rep'...

Sam

4. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

For the money they seem to be very good, but I've read about problems with the picture "breathing". I noticed this first hand this weekend at a friends house who has the 30". When the picture changes from dark to light, or vice versa, the size of the picture changes. It is crazy obvious in 4x3 mode, and also any show / comercial with bars or lines. I found it very distracting, but I did not mention it to my friend since he didn't seem to notice it (not a videophile). I personally could not have lived with it.

5. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

Dean, your links are all on the DLP technology. I have to say, I love what I have seen of DLP and the Samsung is a great looking set. But he is asking about CRT direct view sets, and I would say that the Samsung may not have the quality of some of the other Brands available.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I own a Sumsung 30”, 16:9 set that I bought for my bedroom. Its picture is not quite so good as my 34” Sony XBR800—but then it cost about $1,000 less.

I think that these Samsungs are very good values for the money, so long as you can accept a few things.

I don’t think that the built-in NTSC tuner is as good as sets commanding a premium (Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic and so forth). And there is no picture in picture feature, nor is the set’s line doubler (and reverse 3:2 pulldown) as good as the Sony’s.

But this may not be so important if you get your TV from a satellite, where things like picture-in-picture won’t make any difference anyway, or you use an external ATSC tuner instead of the internal NTSC one. And you have a pretty good progressive scan DVD player, the fact that it does not have the greatest line doubler will make no difference.

The Samsung also does not have as many inputs, nor are they as versatile as the Sony. There is no DVI input and only one S-Video input—and that one is on the side—which is a bit unsightly for constant use. The side input also places a limit on how size of the space where you can place the set.

It does have two component inputs—enough for an external HD tuner and a progressive scan DVD player.

If the versatility limitations are not of a concern, this is a very good set for the money.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

How high does your friend have his contrast set? Sounds like the picture is blooming big time. Though the Samsung is a good set, its power supply is probably weak and, therefore, it doesn't have good black retention (DC restoration).

All told, however, these displays deserve consideration. It appears Samsung cut the costs in mostly appropriate areas (though I do prefer a beefy power supply).

But tell your friend to lower the contrast.

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yes, this set wont be used for OTA, it will be exclusively for Progressive DVD and console gaming. And yes, I am considering the tubes not the DLPs.

As far as 'rep' goes, you cant tell me that you consider Samsungs sets overall as an entire line, to be of the build quality, craftsmanship and innovation as Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba and Pioneer. Taken to the next level those sets are not marketed in the same league as something like Louve who build their market on extreme aesthetics...

Sam

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    And thank you for the very valuable feedback Lew.

Sam

11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Especially this one:

13. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"breathing" weak power supply or bad dc restoration.(worded properly??)

Prett common in older sets, but I thought they may dealt with that.

Brent

14. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I've seen Computer Monitors do that and I sure wouldnt wanna watch a movie on it if it happened more than once or twice on it...

Sam