are RSDL DVDs always Gold?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jean-Francois Masse, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Jean-Francois Masse

I was surprised to see that Hannibal (the feature) is silver even if it's rsdl. Explanations please.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

They've been like that for a while now. I think Charlie's Angels is a good example.
    WAMO is the primary user of the "silver" RSDL discs. There is a new process...I don't know the details...where the result is still dual-layer but the color is silver or even silver with a "touch" of gold.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]

3. Bryant Frazer

Bryant Frazer Stunt Coordinator

It's not really a new process, just new materials. It's cheaper for replicators to use a thin layer of silicon or a special silver alloy rather than the more expensive gold (which gives old-school DVD-9s their golden color).
    -bf-
    ------------------
    Bryant Frazer
    Deep Focus
    www.deep-focus.com

4. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Does anyone else feel cheated when their DVD-9 is silver instead of gold??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Actually I hadn't noticed that some RSDL discs were silver. I noticed that the supplement disc of Unbreakable was silver but that was only because it was single layered.
    My comments about feeling cheated were just poking fun at myself and others who don't like certain DVD cases and artwork. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

6. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Has anyone had a silver RSDL disc fail over a period of time? I think the first disc to use the new process/materials was Three Kings, but I did not hear much more about it since that title and I thought they may have abandoned it. I seem to recall some here saying that their Three Kings discs failed.
    I thought one reason they went this route was for a better yield and less chance of deteriorating over time. I guess only time will tell.

7. Jakob_S

Jakob_S Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone explain what RSDL means? I know the term is used when refering to discs with more than one layer, but...?

8. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

RSDL means Reverse Spiral Dual Layer.
    From the DVD FAQ:

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I always look at the stamps on the inner ring to see if there's 1 layer or 2. It'd be hard to tell with "Terminator" though which is 2-sided and one side is dual layer and gold colored, while the other side is silver.