What's new

Are review copies the same as retail release copies? (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I'm about to go into a trade with someone who wants to give me a factory sealed copy he got from MGM early, because he's on thier review product mailing list. Are these review copies exactly the same as the retail versions or do they have SAMPLE stamped all over them or any other marks?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
It really depends on the studio. I don't remember MGM doing anything strange or unusual to indicate if a particular disc is a screener or not. Universal punches out UPCs, and Fox titles are generally marked as screeners on the discs themselves. I don't remember off the top of my head what other studios do.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Better question! How do you get on a review copy list?
I've wanted to build my own DVD website, but having to buy my own software really has stopped me.
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I'm not sure how you get on the various review copy lists. If I knew how I'd be on one :)
M.
[Edited last by Mark McLeod on September 24, 2001 at 06:06 PM]

Kevin Clemons

Stunt Coordinator
Only Dreamworks discs are different from those purchased in stores. Both my Chicken Run and What Lies Beneath discs are in jewel cases. The discs themselves say screener and the film runs with a subtitle that reads "screener only, not for retail use" then gives a phone number for violations of this. As others have said earlier, Fox also labels the discs as screeners. Others just punch out or cut the UPC.
dOc

Joel C

Screenwriter
MGM rarely even punches out UPCs. The discs are identical.
As for Dreamworks, they experimented with special screeners, but I don't think they are doing that anymore.
------------------
Joel
[email protected]
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks