Are retail brand speakers any good? Kef, Infinity, Boston, Klipsch?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I work at soundtrack so alot of the stuff I know is sold from a retail chain or a relativly smaller shop. Infinity, Boston, Kef, Klipsch, Definitive Tech? Now are these good brands? Im not talking for the money. Im just curious if underground brands are better?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

3. RickBlacker

RickBlacker Stunt Coordinator

Wouldn't it be nice to have a store that had them all so that you could A/B them all together in one spot? [​IMG]

4. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Most of the brands you mentioned are good brands,I happen to own Klipsch rf 7 so I think its a great brand,with a looong history.

5. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Just in my opinon, avoid Infinity. For the most part they are decent sounding/looking speakers but they are getting to be really cheeply made. The enclosures themselves are made from a low grade 1/2" ( MDF? ) or press board of some type. If you ever have the chance to open one up you'll see what I mean.And they actley use cheap molded styrofoam to isolate the mid drivers from the woofers. Its more like something you would expect to see from Bose or maybe Jensen but I don't even know if they step to this low of quality.

6. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

You will definantly want to stay away from Bose. There speakers are nothing but garbage. Bose is basically a piece of furniture... you pay alot of money for it to look good, not necessarily for it to sound good.

As for the companies you mentioned they are all decent companies and I currently own Klipsch myself. All I have to say about Klipsch is that in my own opinion they take very good care of all their products before shipped out. From there lowest line to there flagship speaker.

Don't be fooled on price either. Most people think the more you pay for a speaker the better it is... at times it can be the complete opposite.

Basically retail brand speakers are pretty good. JBL, Polk, Athena, Klipsch, etc. are all very good brands and are very highly respected.

As for how a speaker sounds, even speaker is made differently, every crossover is different in a speaker and so. If you take a JBL speaker it might sound bad to your ear and a Klipsch speaker might sound really good. Every speaker is different, Klipsch is more of a bright speaker that gets the higher mid-ranges much stronger, while JBL is a more even speaker you could say....