Are "renters" like me looked down on here on HTF?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Jan 8, 2002.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I rarely buy movies, because I know I won't watch them very often, I don't have storage space and I don't want to spend the money.

I rent a lot though, and I want everything in OAR, I hate P&S.

Yet here on HTF there seems to be a lot of OAR advocates that don't care about the rental market. It would be a disaster for me if DVD's came out in P&S rental versions, something that I've seen some people suggest here, since "Joe Sixpack" presumable are the only ones that rent.

Please don't discard the rental market when talking about OAR, it's just as important as the sell-through market, IMO.

/Mike

2. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

Well. You won't get anxiety over disc scratches or lending your discs out!

3. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I have to rent a movie and actually see it before I will even consider buying it.

No OAR = no rental, no sale

Jon

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    MickeS - I'm the same way. After a Xmas splurge, I now own about 20 DVDs [​IMG] I try to buy only the few that I will watch repeatedly, or need time to watch thoroughly (I watch special features). That, and I can't afford to buy many.
    So, I rent most of what I see.

5. Michael Dehaven

Michael Dehaven Stunt Coordinator

Renting is intelligent, inexpensive and often highly enjoyable. I rent whenever possible, even films I plan to buy. I love renting, especially newish films that I have no interest in buying but am curious about like: Chopper, Brother, Jeepers Creepers etc.

I used to buy alot of movies and I regret that experience. Rent first buy later, much smarter.At some point I had to decide if I was a seriously compulsive dvd collector or a film enthusiast. I had at one time 600+ dvds and watched none of them. I now have 100+ and watch them in between rentals. This works so well for me. If only Blockbuster and Hollywood Video were smarter than mud.

6. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I have only really ever rented a few discs since I buy virtually everything I want to see but that doesn't make me look down on people who rent. In reality your making the better fiscal choice. I just happen to be a collector of sorts for virtually everything so its in my blood.

The only thing that bothers me about renting is getting a disc that won't play or has dropouts or pixelation because of abuse.

Patrick

7. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

most of the time we don't even respond to renters posts[​IMG]
    Unless you post your collection; who knows and who cares?
    I have stocking up on LDs since for $3.95, it's cheaper than renting and generally not that much of a difference on older movies or TV shows
    ....just say to yourself, "I am not inferior, I am adequate"*
    Grant
    * From they might be giants, my favorite movie

9. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mike,if renting works for you then rent.Don't worry about what other forum members think.
    I rent from Blockbuster frequently because there is no way that I'm buying every movie I want to see or I'd have some real stinkers.Yes Blockbuster,and I'm sure I'll get plenty of people ripping on me for doing so but I don't give a flying $%#@.The Blockbuster near me has the best selection of any rental place around where I live and if the movie is in P&S then I'll go somewhere else and rent it.It's that simple.
    Do what works best for you and don't worry about what everybody else thinks.[​IMG]

10. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I'm not at all worried about what people think of ME (that subject line was poorly worded for sure), I'm just worried that the position of the studios and outlets might be the same as I've seen expressed here; that the DVD's for sale are a higher priority OAR-wise than rentals, and I was trying to figure out why.

Patrick, I do the same as you, rent at Blockbuster (since they are 2 minutes from my house) unless they don't have what I want, then I go to a local store (which unfortately is almost 30 minutes away).

/Mike

11. Rain

Rain Producer

I'm looking down on you. Of course, I look down on everyone and everything. [​IMG]
    Seriously, as long as you are passionate about the films and are enjoying them (which it sounds like you are), why should anyone but you decide whether you need to own them or if renting will suffice.

12. Patrick Wilmes

Thanks for admitting that you also rent from Blockbuster Mike.That took alot of guts.In the next few days I got your back man.[​IMG]

13. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

AAAAGGHHHH!
    You RENT?!?!!? FROM BLOCKBUSTER?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!
    Shame on all of you! Don't you know you're supposed to buy everything you watch on your HT? And if they come out with an SE, you have to buy that, too? And if they come out with another SE that has no additional material except for slightly different artwork on the box, you have to buy it as well?!
    All kidding aside: Who cares if you rent. Some people watch movies over and over again, some don't. Do what makes you happy. As long as you stay away from pan & scam, we'll still talk to you. Even if you rent from Blockbuster and have a 19" TV. [​IMG]

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I look down on you as a knee-jerk reaction out of jealousy towards your sensibility and pragmatism. My irrational and financially irresponsible collector mentality makes me want to lash out at you, so I cop a superior attitude to mask my secret envy.
    Well, you asked. [​IMG]
    Regards,

15. Patrick Wilmes

I never said I only rent.I have a very nice collection IMHO of about 150 dvd's that I love.But again,I'm not buying Dude,Where's My Car.I will rent it though and take it back where I never have to see it again.

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

17. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I stopped renting from Blockbuster when I found out they demand edits for movies. They are large enough to generally get their way and I find censorship detestable.

I end up using Netflixs for that reason and because the little mom & Pop store went out of biz...

But hey, that's just me

18. RobR

RobR Second Unit

19. Joseph Hoetzl

My view on whether I rent or buy is this:

If I can buy a DVD for with whatever coupons I can find online or at a B&M for $18-20 I usually buy it rather than rent it.

Reasoning behind this:

My local rental store charges $4-4+ per DVD...some multi discs at the mom and pop store are more.

If I take the $19, I would have spend buying it, subtract the rental fee, I get a DVD for $15. If I really don't like the movie, I will then sell it on eBay or somewhere like that, sometimes trade titles with family.

If I like it, then I didn't spend the $4 on the rental, and then buy it for $19, wind up spending $23.

It might sound a little odd, but this has worked for me. And selling stuff online is pretty easy for now, but online coupons are becoming a thing of the past, so I might have to change my methods...

20. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Nothing wrong with renting. As far as new releases go if I didn't catch it at the theater I almost always rent it when it first comes out. If the film is worth owning for me then I'll buy it. Very rarely will I buy something without having seen it first.

However I like a wide diversity of classic & catalog films. These are the ones I buy many of.

Jim