Are regular monster THX RCA bables good for unbalenced inputs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Menoni, Aug 6, 2005.

1. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

I just recieved my Outlaw audio 990 and am awaiting my 7125 amp. This is my first Pre/Amp combo and I'm not familiar with the unbalenced inputs. The unbalenced inputs look like regular RCA connections. I was going to use regluar Monster cable THX RCA cables. Is this what I'm supposed to use. Outlaw mentions XLR cables at some point. What is the difference if any between XLR and RCA inputs? ANy help would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get the 190 watts a channel into 4 ohms beast into action.

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Yup, those cables will work just fine for the unbalanced inputs. The only case where you would need XLR cables is for balanced ins/outs...

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

John

You are overthinking this. Unbalanced is just regular old RCA. The same inputs and outputs on all the old equipment you have been using. Unbalanced is just the ordinary non optical connection. If you ever used a tape deck: unbalanced. If your CD player is hooked up other than a digital output: unbalanced.

Just ordinary RCA patchcord.

XLR (balanced) uses a Canon multipin design that is much larger and more expensive than unbalanced(RCA).

It is a shame you got sucked into buying Monster cables. They are WAY the F**K overpriced.

You were on the right track with the premium cables from cablewholsale.

I have been using my $2,800 Citation power amp and Nakamichi equipment with nothing better than Rat Shack RCAs (you know, "unbalanced") with perfect results.

The profit margin on cables is the highest in the business. You will gain absolutely nothing with Monster.

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

I'd have hooked it up first, and asked questions later [​IMG]

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

FeisalK

He can't hook it up, he doesn't have the 7125 amp yet [​IMG]

6. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

Arthur, I wasn't going to spend alot on the monster cables. I just happened to be looking on ebay and there was a guy selling a set of 2 for 10 bucks. I asked him if he had more and he did. So now I'm spending under $50.00 for 8 THX certified monster cables. Otherwise I would be getting the cable wholesale cables. That is what I'm using for my subs anyway. When I get my projector I will be going to them to get a 40 ft DVI cable at a amazingly low price as well. Thanks to everybody for the help.

7. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Ok

Since Monster makes you feel better.

I would be digging through my collection of RCA patch cords from past purchases. Each dual RCA (which most of mine are) takes care of 2 channels. So I would need at most 3 RCA patch cords. Cost = $0.00

Sound quality difference between what I have and Monster = 0.0

8. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Arthur, heh .. I missed that :b

Wonder if the brouhaha between Monster Cable and Monster Vintage has blown over