What's new

Are Radio Shack component cables a waste of money? (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Hi everyone. I was looking to buy some 6 foot component cables for my system, and we have a local Radio Shack. I was looking at their component cables. From the appearance of their cables, I'm wondering if there is really any difference between their 6-Ft Gold-Plated Component Video Cable ($29.99) and their 6-Ft. Gold-Series A/V Cable ($19.99)? It looks to me like outside of having the correct colors for the component cables, the quality is absolutely no different. Why pay the extras $10 only to have the correct colors on the RCA ends? Am I wrong, or is the quality of both of these cables exactly the same?

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Audio cables are 50 ohm instead of 75 and therefore should not be used as component video cables. This is what makes the cost different.

www.accessories4less.com

The Pro II series 3 ft cable is 24.99 right now I think and the pro I 6 ft is 19.99

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Audio cables can be any impedance or not. It doesn't matter. Without part #'s to go by Carlos, it's hard to answer your question. A similar topic was discussed here which may provide an answer for you. If it doesn't and you're just the sort of person who likes to cover their bases and overspec matters, then look for component video cables based on RG-59. You'll be able to run anything, and I do mean any resolution whatsoever, from your DVD player.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Thanks for your input, gentlemen. Chu, specifically, the cables I was comparing were Radio Shack Cat # 15-1563 (6ft component cables) vs. Radio Shack Cat # 15-1508 (6ft A/V cables). I've seen both cables and outside of the color codes on the end of the cables, I can't find any difference as far as thickness is concerned. This is why I was wondering whether Radio Shack is just trying to scam us by simply re-issuing the same A/V cables as component cables, and simply changing the color codes on the connectors.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Carlos, you'll find that if you email RS with a request for additional information referencing the part #'s, they'll tell you more than you need to know. Usually you get back information within a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks