What's new

Are pure-bread dogs for the ultra rich now? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
speaking of puppy mills, my family got a dog from a pound once that had been in a puppy mill that got busted and all the dogs taken away. Se was a GREAT dog, a little (or a lot) weird, but great none the less :D
face it, dogs are just cool no matter where they come from.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Well, here in Atlanta the "pet stores" you find in malls and the like charged well over $1000 for a pug. We knew we couldn't pay that much, so we looked around. Unfortunately demand is much higher in the city, and even the private breeders in the nearby area were charging ~$400-800 for pugs depending on their registration. Still way too much.

Pug Rescue was an option we also looked into, but often you get older pets that way, many with health problems. Obviously if we couldn't pay $1000 for a puppy, we didn't want to get one that might require that much in medical treatments immediately either.

So we looked around some more, and found some backyard breeders in the Yahoo! pets section in very rural areas. Yup, backyard breeders are everywhere, and not everyone is willing to drive 7 hours into the middle of nowhere. Thus prices can be much cheaper. We got a beautiful pug for $150 in the heart of Tennessee... well worth our drive despite being pee'd on twice on the way back by our little precious. While not AKC registered, her parents were in perfect health, and she has perfect lines to my eyes. We don't show dogs, and it was the perfect match.

So all I can say is look around. Somewhere there is the perfect dog for you... in your price range.

Alex Giese

Grip
My wife and I got two of our Golden Retrievers for $150 each from a "backyard breeder". We checked him out and the parents of our dogs. We have no regrets at all as they are very healthy and happy dogs. I believe it is best to be able to see the parents of a dog you want to get. This was before we got involved with an adoption organization.

We fostered several goldens for a local organization and we enjoyed each one of them. Many of these dogs came from puppy mills and owners who didn't want or couldn't keep them anymore. Organizations may vary, but the one we worked with take care of everything for each dog's health such as veterinary care and developing their social skills with people and other dogs. They have a website with photos of dogs and their backgrounds that are up for adoption. There might be one for the Boston Terriers as well.

Whenever I meet anybody that are thinking of getting a dog, I would encourage them to check out adoption and/or shelters as several pure-breds are usually rescued by an organization. It is usually much cheaper this way. Good luck!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It does to me. Back in the early 80's, we bought a purebred Chihuahua for $100. When he died in the late 90's, he was replaced with another one. Cost: $300. Now, I see them selling for $400-$500. What gives? That's way too much money for a 2 pound ball of fur that licks.
------------------------------------------------------------
Taco Bell?
These dogs got popular after all those Taco Bell commercials. There is probably a group of people who think they must have got a defective one because it doesn't go....Yo quiero'....Taac-Oh Belll (in Cheech Marin type voice). :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are pure-bread dogs for the ultra rich now?
If by "ultra-rich" you mean someone that has $500 to spare for something they really want, then I guess so. But I wouldn't think you'd have to be ultra rich to have a spare $500.

Seriously, if you're into HT, then you've spent at least $500 to get your gear (DVD, stereo, speakers and TV). So why is a $500 dog so expensive?

And as many said, there are the dogs at the local shelter, or from friends, etc. Buying a purebred is an exercise in risk-management. You spend more money up-front, to have a near-complete knowledge of the animal's behavior, disposition, and likely health problems. A mutt can be as good or better, but it's much more uncertain.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I guess this little friend of mine wouldn't think $500 is too much for her, or even $450 5 years ago
josie.jpg

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

But as I and others have pointed out, just because you get it through adoption doesn't mean it's a mutt. It can be purebred but adopted away for various reasons.

/Mike

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
just because you get it through adoption doesn't
Right. I was just being simplistic.

As someone else said, greyhounds are excellent dogs. A friend is involved in the local Greyhound Rescue organization, and has two herself. She loves them. Surprisingly, they are pretty sedate dogs, generally.

Another friend is the PR person for the local Humane Society. I've not had a chance to find out yet, but it seems like the best way to get an animal from a shelter is befriend an employee, and then ask their help. I've not doubt Alice will help me find the perfect dog when the time comes.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was watching a re-run of Friends the other day, the one where Rachel buys a $1200 bald "blue" cat. She says "My mom used to have a cat that would chase a string around, and purr and play with me" to which Ross says "Free cats do that too you know..." LMAO!

Most of my dogs always came from the pound, and I have never had a problem with any of them. In fact, I got a purebread Malamute there one time. Apparently, she got out and was picked up by animal rescue and nobody came to claim her, so I took her home. Vet said she was likely purebread. Do I care about the papers? Nope. Probably an $800 dog, that I paid exactly $45 to adopt. Damn she was a good dog too.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I have a pure-breed beagle that has no health issues and is the best dog I have ever had....truly my best friend. I also got lucky and took him off the hands of a family that had let their 4 year old son choose the puppy without knowing anything about the breed.

Their loss....my incredible gain.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I also got lucky and took him off the hands of a family that had let their 4 year old son choose the puppy without knowing anything about the breed.
What would be bad about a 4 year old, and a beagle? Is the howling bark too much for some? I'm wondering what the down side to owning a beagle is, because after eight years with Barney, I can't find any.:)

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I purchased a $200 purebred, registered collie puppy from a backyard breeder in '96 and she's THE best dog in the world. Smart, gorgeous and loyal and to see her run in the field is a thing of beauty.

The 2nd purebred puppy I bought was from "PetLuv", a mall petstore that has since closed. I paid $300 for a miniature dauchthund - cutest thing you ever saw. Unfortunately, within 24 hours, I had to take her to the vet due to a bad case of worms...so invested another $100. The vet informed me that a "mall pet store" is the worst place to purchase a dog, as they don't have good health screening practices. Anyway, that dog turned out to be a chewer of shoes, a bully to the other dogs, and was more loyal to my ex-boyfriend than to me...so she's now with him. (My other dogs don't miss her cause she'd pull all the stuffing out of their plush dog toys within 24 hours of purchase.)

My "beagle" pup was obtained from the Humance Animal Alliance Shelter last Fall. She was 7 weeks old and looked like a purebred beagle. THEY told me she was a purebred beagle who was owner-relinquished because they had "too many". Well, she's NOT quite a beagle...more like a Beagle Harrier. Much taller & leaner, but still, affectionate and cute.

The newest member, a red "lab-mix" puppy wandered onto my deck last week, aquainted himself with the others and decided he was home. No collar, but in good health. No sign of an owner, and being in the country, I've seen too many abandoned pups out here to expect anyone to come looking for him. He's about 3-5 months old, and no telling what he'll grow up to be....but he'll be loved and that's all that matters.

Every home needs a dog and every dog deserves a home. Charles, invest the $500 and bring that cute little puppy home. You KNOW you want to.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I have still been following this thread. I hope you didnt think I ditched on all you that were offering this great advice. Its not that we really cant spare $500, its that we think that is too expensive for a dog period. Now my fiance and I are consider adopting a retired greyhound. 100% purebred, kennel broken, leash broken, healthy (generally, unless they have joint problems), $150 adoption fee, and needs a home. What are your thoughts? Any greyhound owners out there. Our primary concern is that whatever dog we get has a short coat so they cant trap a lot of pollen and dust in their hair when the go outside, and that they dont trash our new house (chew everything, etc.)

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
I don't have greyhounds, but they will be on the short list when our current one (a lab-chow mix - talk about a handful when she gets excited!) passes along, or maybe earlier.

What I do know about them is from people who own them, and they have had just about zero problems with them. The biggest issue seems to be wear and tear on their joints, from racing. But even that seems minor - especially in light of our dog's dysplasia.

Mike

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
I think that adopting a pet is the most wonderful thing anyone could do. Please forgive what follows, but the subject of purebred dogs hits a raw nerve with me.
Several years back, the fence belonging to our neighbor, between our house and his, became so decrepit that one of the posts gave way leaving a gap. Long, painful story short, we now have only two of our three dogs. I wouldn’t wish on anyone the torture of going from one animal shelter to another to find a lost dog…or possibly one fitting its description on the list of animals peeled up off of the street.
Purebred pets are akin to expensive custom wheels on ones car. Even though you might be able to justify the purchase by citing enhancements of performance or an excellent quality history, it really only comes down to prestige. How does it make ME look? Never mind that the low profile tires wear out 5 times faster than standard street tires. And no, I’m not likely to be doing any racing around tight curves to utilize the superior cornering ability. But, of course, we all know that the high polished chrome wheels make the car go faster ;-)
Over the past few centuries, dogs have been bred for specific reasons; Hunting, security, transportation in the arctic, delivering brandy in the Swiss Alps. Sadly, a very small fraction of these genetically bred skills are ever utilized. What is a Husky supposed to do in Southern California? Sand dunes are pretty tough to pull a sled over. The point is that keeping purebred pets is more about us than the job that the animal was bred to do. So the benefit of pure breeds has long been obsolete. There’s no more purpose to a Dachshund in the 21st century than adding an 8-track to your HT.
Now this does not mean that purebred owners don’t love their animals. My mother in-law has had purebred boxers for years, and they’re truly treated like their children. We can genuinely see their affection for their dogs, as well as the dog’s affection for their owner. Animals are innocent. They simply are what they are and develop and respond to the way they are treated. It is people who shoulder the responsibility to make their lives happy…or at the very least, safe and healthy.
Bleeding heart? Absolutely. But I defy someone who professes to truly care for their animal to step foot inside an animal shelter and not come away changed.
Never breed or buy while animals in shelters die.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Over the past few centuries, dogs have been bred for specific reasons; Hunting, security, transportation in the arctic, delivering brandy in the Swiss Alps. Sadly, a very small fraction of these genetically bred skills are ever utilized.
there is nothing sadder than seeing a sporting breed dog locked up in a house all day. Hunting with a dog is a blast, it's more fun to watch the dog work than the actual hunt. They can never get enough of it, it's amazing.
It's also amazing how much they "know" how to do correctly, even as puppies with zero training.
dogs are just damn cool. that's all there is too it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks