Are pure-bread dogs for the ultra rich now?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, May 15, 2002.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I am quite dissapointed to learn tonight that the Boston Terrier breader I have been conversing over email over the past week or so wants $500 per puppy. The last dog I had was bought by my parents while I still lived at home and was $250 for a Spring Spaniel pure bread from an AKC registered breeder. Seeing as how my car has almost 200,000 miles on it, has no A/C (the nebraska summer is already starting to be real fun since I have to wear a suit to work most of the time) and is riding on a failing C-V joint, we are closing on a house next week and are getting married in September and paying for the honeymoon, my fiance and I have decided that it is beyond our means to get a purebread dog. I mean we make decent money, and we cant afford a freaking dog. I'm really upset. I have bad allergies and asthma, and cannot be around cats at all or dogs that shed alot, which is why we went with the bostons. I feel like we cant adopt from the pound because I need a dog that is purebread so I can predict its personality, size, and shedding to a degree since it is going to be a house dog. I'm really bummed, any suggestions? Is there any chance in hell of getting a specific pure breed of dog from the pound?

2. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

I think the potential "unpredictability" of a pound-adopted dog is far outweighed by the saving of a life. We adopted our dog and we've had nothing but good memories. I would say at least stop by your local pound just to see if you feel a similar connection. If you don't, that's okay too. [​IMG]

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Why go through an AKC breeder? they (claim) to have a superior "product" and charge a premium. I don't know about boston terriers, but the last springer spaniel pup my dad bought off someone in the newspaper that just bred a couple AKC dogs, he was able to meet the parents, which is nice I suppose.
    anyway, myself I could cre less if my dog is AKC registerred or just a happy accident, a good dog is a good dog [​IMG]

4. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

I bought a Labrador Retriever that was not CKC registered. It was from a backyard breeder. I made a choice to treat my dog the same as the rest of my family. My dog was severely displastic and needed $8000 worth of hip replacements. Taking care of the dog was no easy task either. She only lived until she was seven as she developed a kidney disease which was potentially genetic, although the cause was not nailed down. That cost about $4000.

If you want to decrease the potential for health problems, I would recommend that you get a good purebred. If money is tight for you then it would be best not to get a dog. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to short change my dog simply because I didn't have the money, but that is a personal opinion.

Just my two cents.

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Can't you wait with the dog until you can afford it? $500 for a purebred dog doesn't seem that much to me.

We have a dog that we found on the street, and several of our friends have dogs they have gotten from the pound/Animal Society/FAIR, and none of them or us have had a problem with it.

I would go to the adoption centers at for example Petsmart and see if they have a dog you like. They don't just have strays, they have dogs that have been given up for adoption for various reasons, for example because it doesn't like cats or the owner is moving. They often have medical and other information about the dog . You'll save a life and get an inexpensive dog.

/Mike

6. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

My parents got a pure bread Boston terrier when I moved out to go to college. They are are very affectionate and loving (also usually active). He quickly became a member of the household as their third child. they spoil that dog like crazy. i'm also not opposed to adopting but you would get many years of joy from a purebread boston

7. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

We have owned in order;

Black Lab

White Sheppard

Long Haired Dachshund

and currently have a Great Dane.

All the dogs were pure bread and we never paid for any of them. I am sure with a little work on your part, you will be able to find a dog that fits your needs and the only thing you may have to pay for is shots or adoption fees.

Bill

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Are the dogs whole-wheat or white?

The dogs you find in the SPCA and pounds are usually of the multi-grain variety, from my experiences.

Also, is it true that pure-enriched-flour (aka pure-bread) dogs have more health problems than the multigrained mutts?

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Also, careful with your allergies...I believe dog allergens have nothing to do with hair length. It would be the dander that you should be wary of. If you are only allergic when long-haired dogs are around, then it is very probable that the pollen and dust they carry in from the outdoors would be the culprits.

For example, I had a short-haired poodle/terrier/mutt dog once, but I was allergic to it. I was not allergic to the Doberman/Irish Setter I had, but I am slightly allergic to my dad's beagle.

10. Oscar W

Oscar W Stunt Coordinator

You might look to rescue organizations for the particular breed of dog you want. I recently adopted a pure-breed dog. The puppies sell for $800+ from breeders, I paid $100 to the rescue organization for mine. Granted he is 2.5 years old when I got him, but they do get puppies occasionally and I didn't want a puppy.
    Most rescue organizations get their dogs from pounds. They are sent to foster homes, get full medical check-ups, their tempers are checked around people and other dogs & cats and are nuetered.
    It is a great and inexpensive way to go. Here is a few Boston Rescues I found. I haven't looked through any of these sites so don't know thier content.
    http://www.thebostonsite.com/RescueCenter.html
    http://sparkyaustinbt.tripod.com/BTshelterlists/
    http://www.1-800-save-a-pet.com/save...cl?species=dog
    http://www.bostonrescue.net/
    http://b.a.r.c.tripod.com/

11. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

[​IMG]
    Beat me to it, man!

12. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

13. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Hmmm, that's not too bad. I paid $1200 for my rottweiller.

14. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I hope my dad's beagle doesn't have any problems. She's a cutey!

15. Stacie

Stacie Stunt Coordinator

Charles,

First, it is often possible to find a purebred dog at a shelter -- you just never know, and if you're patient and check regularly, the right dog might very well come along (and at the right price). If you have your heart set on a purebred puppy, that might not work out, but if you would consider an adult dog, it could work.

Another option is a breed-specific rescue organization. You should see if there's a Boston terrier rescue in your area (or if there are other breeds that you think would suit you, check for rescues for those too).

My dog is a black lab mix (though what he's mixed with, we don't know -- he's almost indistinguishable from a purebred lab in both personality and appearance). We got him from the animal shelter when he was a 12-week-old puppy. He is a fabulous, wonderful dog. Anyway, it cost us nearly $200 in fees to adopt him -- still a bargain, since a purebred lab puppy would have cost us at least twice that and probably more like three or four times that.

You should keep in mind, though, that the difference between adoption fees for a shelter or rescue dog and the cost of a purebred dog is a tiny amount compared to what you will spend on the dog over the course of its life, no matter where you got it. Veterinary services, food, grooming, toys -- these things really add up, and if you're not prepared financially, you shouldn't get a dog at this point in your life. I'm not saying that you aren't, just that dog ownership is a long-term ongoing expense, and anyone who's considering getting a dog needs to be aware of that.

Good luck ! Hope you find the dog of your dreams!

Stacie

16. Raine Linton

Raine Linton Stunt Coordinator

If you want a pure breed AND one of the oldest breeds on the planet,adopt a Greyhound for about $150. You can get them as young as 18 months. I have two and they are wonderful,gentle,elegant creatures.

17. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

18. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

$500 isn't much. You need to look around and compare prices. Consider that the $500 probably pays for several health inspections, shots, etc. You may or may not have to pay for that with a Pound puppy. Also, some breeders will require some money upfront for a spay/neuter deposit - not sure if you are planning to breed your dog.

Also, you can look for dogs that 'pet quality' - not sure if you're looking for a show or breed quality dog. the cosmetic quality of a dog certainly affects price.

Also, scarcity/demand for the breed affects price. The sad truth is that some breeds are more in demand than others. This will affect price greatly.

FYI - same applies for cats. pure-bred cats are generally cheaper though.

19. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

When going through a reputable breeder, they often charge a different price for the dog depending on whether or not it is "show quality." When we were looking for an Aussie, the breeders typically charged $500 for show quality dogs and $350 for pet quality. There are many factors that can determine what quality the dog is but it can often be something as minor as color.

Turns out our son was a bit intimidated by the amount of energy that Aussies have and we rescued a wonderful mutt from the pound. I don't regret it for a second, she's sleeping on my feet as I type.

20. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Think of it this way... a good pure bred dog is not like a piece of audio equipment you upgrade every year. They will be a companion for their entire life which may last 15 years or upwards. When you think of it in those terms, the initial cost does not seem that much. Of course there are many fine mutts who make great companions as well...it all depends what you are looking for in a dog.

J