Are PSB stratus goldi's out of Phase?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce Chang, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

I played the stereophile test disk today to setup my speakers and I found the the PSBs are out of phase even though the speaker wires are correct. What's going on?

2. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Check to see that the leads on the amplifier are correct. Better yet, switch the leads on one of the speakers. If you still get out of phase info then one of the drive units is wired incorrectly from the crossover.

3. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Hmm, I searched audio asylum and it appears that the PSBs are suppose to be out of phase. Wierd eh.

4. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

My Stratus Goldi's are not. By out of phase, do you mean that you get a diffuse image when playing mono? If you do, they are not supposed to be that way.

5. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

If your power amp is of the bridgeable type and the switch is set to bridged, this will make an out-of-phase L-R condition and mono at that.

One quick way of checking the woofers of you speakers is to take a 1.5v battery and using test leads connect + to + and - to - on the speaker terminals.

Woofer should move outward. (Provided speakers adhere to the
    standard) In any event both woofers should move the same way.

Hope this helps.

6. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

found the thread on audio asylum http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/spe...ges/55333.html
    I did the battery test on my PSB Stratus Goldi's, and the woofer and midrange sucked in. I emailed PSB and they said it was supposed to be that way! Actually I think the bass is tighter with the polarity reversed, pushing out instead of in... go figure.
    So... can all you Gold owners out there, run and reverse the polarity on your mid/woofer binding posts (you must be bi-wired of course) and report back what sonic differences you find?
    If you wanna be REAL helpful, let me know which wire goes to the positive terminals on the INSIDE of the binding post box. Mine are identified by little green dots.
    AudioPhool
    Responses
    All PSB models have this anomaly. The design sacrifices absolute phase response for smoother frequency response amongst the non-time-aligned drivers. The Gold (original) is the only model where I don't notice any adverse sonic effects associated with this.
    if you change the relative phasing between any of the drivers, you will create a horrible phase shift problem and frequency response abberation in the crossover range. don't do it. if you insist on trying anyway, make sure you carefully write down how the speaker was originally connected so that you can get back to where you were or you will be writing the manufacturer for a wiring diagram. You can be sure that the manufacturer experimented with many permutations of his design including you idea during the development phase and wired it the way he did because that is the best performance he can sell. if you don't like the sound of your speakers, replace them with speakers you like better.

7. John F. Palacio

"So... can all you Gold owners out there, run and reverse the polarity on your mid/woofer binding posts (you must be bi-wired of course) and report back what sonic differences you find?"

This is total insanity. The polarity of the woofer relative to that of the mid-range and/or tweeter is determined by the manufacturer and should be left alone.

If we are concerned about absolute phase i.e., a kick drum exerting positive pressure, then all we have to do is reverse polarity at either the speaker OR amplifier end on both channels and problem is solved.

If the polarity of the woofer and woofer alone is changed, we will end up with phase and frequency response anomalies in the crossover region!

8. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Ok this is wierd, I e-mailed PSB and they said

Hello and thank you for your inquiry and ownership.

If the speakers were indeed out of phase, you should definitely put them in
    phase.

Thank you again.

John Milder for PSB

What the heck?

9. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

That's an odd and humorous reply, Bruce! Mr. Milder must be smoking some pretty good stuff up there in Canada! [​IMG]

10. John F. Palacio

"If the speakers were indeed out of phase, you should definitely put them in phase."

Are you sure you emailed this to the right address? This sounds like a joke.

I once emailed PSB about an upgrade issue, and even though it took them two or three days to reply, it was a coherent, polite and sensical reply.

11. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

12. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

John, I'm pretty sure I e-mailed PSB directly. The e-mail just seemed funny to me. Well I switch the polaritys on my tube amp(switching the speaker wires) and played the sterophille test disk. No matter if I put it in phase or out of phase, THE SPEAKER IS STILL OUT OF PHASE. It's freaking wierd.

13. John F. Palacio

" No matter if I put it in phase or out of phase, THE SPEAKER IS STILL OUT OF PHASE. It's freaking wierd"

Bruce, do not worry. Will figure this out eventually.

What we need is a systematic approach to first determine how the problem arose, then what is causing it, and last how to repair it. Let's start from scratch:

Exactly what kind of signal is in this "stereophile test disk" and what do you listen for to determine phase?

14. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Here's the even weirder thing: I'm the guy that sold the PSB's to Bruce (What's up, Bruce?)[​IMG] . He came over to my house and we spent several hours demoing some material before he took them up to Berkeley. The funny thing is that I calibrated those speakers using AVIA at least 5 times during the year that I owned them, and never had a phase problem with them. This is indeed a mystery. Let me know how I can help, or what solutions anybody can come up with. Jan.

15. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

The phase test you are playing on the Stereophile disk might be very sensitive to changes - in other words your phasing has to be perfect to hear it correctly. What you hear may just be caused by the out-of-phase midrange driver and you may not be able to correct it at all. I think as long as your polarity between speakers is correct, you're fine. Music sounds good, doesn't it?